push rods, rocker arms, and pushrod guide plates

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Hello again, Im looking to get some clarification before i send off the engine to the machine shop. Does the 409 need push rod guide plates? Im missing two rocker arms are those interchangeable with other SBC or BBC engines? Im missing a few pushrods so i think i should get a new set of those and im not sure on what specifics I need for the pushrods. My main caps have the taller bolts for the windage tray but I believe my oil pan has one built in, so I believe I don't need to use the tray. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Also what is the difference between these two pans.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 64

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What power level are you planning for this engine?
Pushrod guide plates are not necessary unless the holes in the head are worn.
The 409 rocker are 1.75 ratio you can use a big block rocker but they are 1.70 ratio, so you lose a little lift.
Pushrods are best to pick the correct length when the engine is test fitted together, as you will want to check valve to piston clearance also.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Yeah I assumed the orange was a 65 pan. So as far as the engine. It’s a 63 QB block .30 over with 690 heads. The holes in the heads don’t look worn out. So with my oil pans do I still need the windage tray?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're planning on regularly turning 6500 plus yes,otherwise no.What is the engine going in?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The 409 oil pan is for 340HP and the wind age tray on the main caps will not clear with that oil pan.
You have both 340HP AND 425HP pushrod. You just have a mish-mash of parts.

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Yeah I figured I would have a hodgepodge parts with the three blocks I have that are taken apart. Since engine is going in a 63 impala I should use the green oil pan without using the windage tray and bolts? Is that correct? Also what type of 409 uses the windage tray bolted onto the main caps?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Oil pans are specific to horse power. All pan rails are the same and will interchange with 348 blocks.
The 340HP engines use the oil pan you have. The 400 and 425HP engines used the windage tray on the main caps and the internal tray on the pan was cut and shortened. I found one that I had left. I'm attaching a picture.
20190902_184349.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Phil

You say pans are specific to hp. Just wondering what kinds of problems you may run into if using incorrect pan?? Thanks

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, I have to ask. Why does the orange pan seem to look longer? What is the length of the 396 block versus the 409?

427John

Well Known Member
Jeff eagle eye brings up a good point,you may want to test fit on the block to make sure it fits before sending it off so you can be hunting replacements if they don't.I know I would be annoyed if I got the engine back from the shop to find that none of the tinwork fits.