Putting together a stockish 09

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
After collecting bits for awhile I have started to assemble a stockish replacement 409 for my 64 Biscuit.
I bought the Biscayne some 5 years ago, and in that time the QB bottom end with 817's has run pretty good but was/is always a bit fumey for my liking, never used any oil or got hot, in fact has run like a charm and typically revs hard but not high.
So with a 422 truck block, I had it bored 30 over with a set of cast 11:1 slugs, a Howards Cam, see card, just had the 583's machined, including valve cover gasket surface, faced and new bronze valve guides and stem machined for viton seals. I checked for Valve to Piston clearance using plasticine, I did this without the head gasket measured approx 40 thou so with the gasket should be around 85 thou, Going to do a little die grinding to match the intake gasket and smooth a little area around the intake valve stem. Going to use a 881 intake with a couple of 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs.
Not really sure what sort of HP I will get, but if I get around 350-400 at the rear wheels I will be pretty happy.

The plans for the QB block are a little more, 4" crank, 30 over Icon forged slugs, hydraulic roller cam (might be solid roller yet) this will have the heads and intake off Dave Mills 65 Nova, I picked these up at Great Bend.

Happy to hear comments on whether or not I will see the 350-400HP mark

The 409 is on the right, on the left is my sons 65' 390 FE that he is going to fit in his new project a 32 5w coupe (Ford)

409.jpg IMG_20171115_165209_383.jpg 583.jpg IMG_9133.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Boy Steve, I thought I had too many money-suck projects going on at one time, you seem to have topped that :).

I probably would have selected forged pistons for that 422 build, like you are doing for the QB block. But then you're hearing from a guy who went with used factory pistons and rods for the BA409 drag car...

Good luck on all three projects (even though one is a F@^d) :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Made a little more progress on the fresh engine for the 64,
spent some time match porting both the heads and intake to match the Felpro intake gasket, assembled the heads and tightened down.
installed the lifters, push rods and stock rockers, and then the intake, hopefully I should have it running soon, going to run it on my test stand.
Will need to sort out all the bolt on bits for the test run, once I am happy it all works I will shove it in the 64.

422 409.jpg

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Got the 09 running today and ran the cam in.

I need a little advice on setting the carbs up. I have never set up 2 x 4's before

Using 2 off Edelbrock 500cfm 1404, at the moment the carbs have no linkages joining them together.

Firstly, where should I begin the idle mixture screws, I have read the Edelbrock manual but does not give me a starting point.
Secondly, should I treat the front or rear carb as the primary carb ( somewhere I remember reading that the rear was the primary)
Thirdly, with the secondary carb, should the butterflies be fully closed at idle similar to the outside 2G carbs on a triple setup and all idle settings be done on the primary carb.

Just to clarify, I have run the cam in and the engine will idle, just trying to dial this in a little better.

many thanks in advance

cheers

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you adjust at an idle the way that Brian's suggesting,it won't matter weather you run the linkage straight or progressive.Use a tach and /or a vacuum gauge,and adjust each screw in 1/4th.turn at a time.Shoot for the highest steady vacuum and best steady rpm.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes and yes. Both front and rear carbs have idle circuits, tip in and full open circuits . Both will play an equal part in idle and wide open operation. The only deviation would be the introduction of progressive linkage. Progressive linkage is used mostly for a street strip dual carb setup. I have progressive linkage on my engine. I'm looking at your build and trying to come up with some predictions on HP and torque but am looking through beer glasses at the moment. I will defer to Don Jacks for the moment.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I''ll stick with my original projections.your choice of exhaust will be the only unknown to me,but a small tube header would be very beneficial to this package.The factory linkage was progressive.The straight linkage set up will give you a quicker,more aggressive throttle response,but you'll pay for it in fuel mileage.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My 474 with straight linkage,3.50 gears and a 4 gear gets 13+ mpg. Progressive linkage seemed very soft off idle up to 3000 rpm. Straight linkage really woke the throttle response up. If tuned properly I don’t think fuel economy will suffer. Drivability is quite good, but it does take some time for tuning the carbs, distributor curve, and vacuum advance if used.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have played with the straight linkage setup and liked the way it felt but did notice a lot of fuel was used very quickly but i was pushing it not just normal driving.