Question for the experts????

wldavis

Hello,

I would like to know what is the correct fuel filter assembly for a 64 409 400 hp motor? Would it be the three hole filter assembly or two hole filter assembly? I am also looking for a picture of the aircleaner base for a 400 hp 409 with a closed vent system. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Show Cars replacement fuel filter assy has 3 holes,here's a photo of the filter.

Attachments

• 4209.jpg
    4209.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 97

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Filter

The original was a 3 hole AC filter. Third hole is the return line to the fuel tank. Show Cars had some one machine a replacement. It is not a duplicate.

Fred

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not to steal the thread but are any of you guys running a 3 hole glass bowl with a Hi Perf pump... 9psi...are they safe ?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Glass Bowl Filter

Don't know what the psi is, but that's what I'm running. Using a stock Holley fuel pump. It's a higher volumn pump, but I don't know the pressure.

Fred

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Fred..it's just a Carter Hi Performance unit...box says 8psi..I just looked...just don't want to worry about it

wldavis

Thanks for the replies. I've seen pictures of the three hole assembly on the 425 hp motors, but I haven't ever seen any pics of the filter assembly on the 400 hp motors. I have both original filter assemblies...just trying to decide which way I want to go. Is there anyone out there who has a 400 hp 409? I would like to see some pictures of the fuel filter and the bottom of the air cleaner. Thanks again.

bobs409

Administrator
wldavis,

I have a 400hp 409 in my Chevelle. I did not get the original glass fuel bowl with mine when I bought it but added one. (see pics)

I can't say that the way I have it plumbed is "exact" but it should be close enough.

Because the 400hp is the high performance version, they would have the 3 hole style. (fuel return line) My Chevelle doesn't have that line so I just plugged the third hole on this one for now.

Note that I got this one from ebay and it has an "80" stamped on it. There were different numbers stamped on these for different applications but I forget what is correct and what is not. Maybe someone else can shed more light on that.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 92

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob

My 380HP 62 engine uses a 1 1/2" long pipe nipple with a two hole filter and it sets level but very close to the carb. i have no idea how close the three hole filter is to the carb or the routing of the return line but i would think the filter would be level like my 62? could be to get the return line between the carb and filter the pipe nipple is longer on the 63 64 65 cars.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bob I think you should trade me that junky useless 3 holer for this nice 2 holer...I may even throw in a few bucks:brow

bobs409

Administrator
gearhead409 said:
My 380HP 62 engine uses a 1 1/2" long pipe nipple with a two hole filter and it sets level but very close to the carb. i have no idea how close the three hole filter is to the carb or the routing of the return line but i would think the filter would be level like my 62? could be to get the return line between the carb and filter the pipe nipple is longer on the 63 64 65 cars.

Yeh, one of these days, I have to figure out what's correct and make some changes. I know I have it tilted a bit to clear the air cleaner base. If anyone knows for sure what I need to make this correct, just let me know. :) P.S. mine is a 63 if that matters.

4onthefloor, :roll Heck, I paid a whopping $45.00 for that, can't part with it.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob

now i can see why the 360 380 and 400 hp air cleaner bases are made the way they are. they clear the fuel filter with room to spare. you sure got a good deal on that three hole filter! must have been a few years ago or you caught someone sleeping.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
double it and then you'll need to give him another $200 to match what I paid for mine!!!!!:rolleyes:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred,, How can you race with that glass bowl under the hood?

Around here they say there not NHRA approved for obvious safety reasons. dq

gearhead409

Well Known Member
i wondered the same thing. i was thinking Fred had said something about changing it awhile back. maybe tracks aren't as tuff if race day isn't an NHRA event. i wrench on a 409 car that has ran at indy goodguys,super chevy indy and national trails, columbus oh. edegwater at cinci. oh. kil kare, dayton oh. it still has the glass filter. granted, it would be a good idea to replace it if you are racing.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fuel lines

I'm going to change it, but it has never been mentioned. The only thing mentioned at the Hot Fod Reunion was the fact the fuel line runs inside the X on the frame, alongside the drive shaft. I'm working on fixing that. The Hot Rod Reunion was the best the car has been gone over. Most tracks just open the hood, look, and close it. I have put an SFI approved balancer on since then. But that was only casualy mentioned one time. I guess they figure the car is slow enough as to not get into trouble! I don't know. At the Reunion, used stock seat belts and no jacket. No roll bar. NHRA has set roll bar to under 11.50 now, seat belts included. Don't go under 11.50 and you are OK on a lot of things. My only explanation???????????????

Fred