Question, what would you do?

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Got a question about an eBay purchase. Wish it concerned my 62 Impala restoration but that is progressing fine although slowly.

I am redoing my 98 Z71 short bed Chevy pickup and put new fuel lines, pump and tank on it. Have the bed off it so everything was easy to get to. Looked at a lot of ads on eBay to make sure I got the correct one based on description. Got a great price but after installing and getting ready to drop the fuel pump in the hole was too small. Contacted the seller (Bobsclassicchevy) and they found it took a different tank with a larger pump opening. I didn't see anything saying there were two hole sizes for that truck/engine.

I paid for the second tank and was going to send back the first one with a RMA number for a credit. Tried today to ship it back thru Fed-X and UPS but the shipping was as much or more than I paid for the tank. Had sent two emails asking for a bit of help on return shipping and a phone call today but no response, was told on the phone call he'd ask someone about it.

Can't believe it cost nearly $100.00 to ship back a $100.00 item. Have any of you run into this before? Could stick it on a shelf and keep trying to sell it locally to recoup some of the cost. Got lots of expensive parts coming up for the Impala redo but something like this makes one think more on where to get them.

Thanks

Dennis

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shipping cost has nothing to do with the cost of an item. Did Bobs sell you both tank and pump? if so I would insist they pay to ship back as they should have sent a matching pair. If they refuse file a "not as described item" with Ebay. You have to tell Paypal that they sent the wrong one and you will not pay for return shipping.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
If you paid by credit card. Call them right away and they will issue a chargeback to the vendor. You also do not have to pay interest charges while the amount is in dispute. They will help you get it made right.

chris

Topstrap

Well Known Member
My original tank had the larger opening, I thought initially I was going to use my original tank and got new lines and the pump locally. When I dropped my tank down to get to the lines behind it a small leak appeared so I ordered the new tank separately.

I thought initially the local dealer sold me the wrong pump but after measuring my old tank and the new one I saw the difference.

I really hate having to go thru eBay and solve it that way, I figure it probably cost them $25.00 or so to ship it to me. I'd even split the cost.

I'll wait and see if I hear anything tomorrow them look into the eBay return policy.

Thanks for the help.

Dennius

Last edited:

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Really would like to work it out fairly for both of us, I'd still like to be able to possibly get parts for the Impala from them and hate to be labeled a bad customer.

Dennis

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Can't believe it cost nearly $100.00 to ship back a $100.00 item. Have any of you run into this before?

I ran into the same thing recently. The issue is the size of the box. Fedex and UPS use weight as a factor in the pricing but also invoke another price based strictly on the box size. They figure your price both ways and then charge you with the higher one. It would cost more to ship a feather in a large box than a brick in a smaller one. I believe they give discounts to certain customers otherwise as you point out it would not make sense to ship a $100 item for $100. After looking at the listing, I think they made an error in their listing. I would ask them to pay the return shipping.

Last edited:

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I looked up your fuel pump sender unit and there is one part. Delco MU1745. There should not be 2 different hole sizes because that would drive 2 different parts. The error is with Bobs and I would kindly point that out. They should take the return and shipping. I am assuming you have a regular cab, short wheel base, 4wd.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the seller's listing was not accurate, do as Mike said above, file with Ebay "item not as described" and you will get the money back for the item and shipping. Do not mark "item did not fit", as you will not get anything for shipping refunded. Ask me how I know. Most likely, if the return shipping is too high, the seller will just refund your money and tell you to keep the tank. Good luck!

bobs409

Administrator
Yep, ebay will side with you no matter what when you say "not as described". The seller will have to either provide the return postage that you can print out, work a deal with you for a partial refund (if you are willing to accept that) or a full refund and you keep the parts. The seller ends up eating the shipping both ways if he wants it returned! This is what hurts small sellers on ebay but if a seller is in the wrong, he should pay, no complaints there. Ebay thinks all sellers have walmart in their name or something and doesn't look out for the little guy for which made ebay what it is today. The only gripe I have is many people use the "not as described" for all reasons, even buyers remorse. It's a powerful tool in the hands of who knows?

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the replys, I'd gladly split the shipping to be fair. EBay has made it hard for a small seller to sell and make anything and realize it's difficult to make sure every part is an exact replacement part. I'll call again today and see if they will split their shipping cost to get it back to them. They did ship promptly and sent the correct part ordered, just the description didn't match the part needed for my truck.

Thanks again, get this thing back together and get back to the Impala.

Hey Bob Walla, still haven't started that QB engine I got off you. Maybe this spring.

Dennis

bobs409

Administrator
That's very admirable to offer such a thing. Where can I find buyers like you? :D

Last edited:

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
This is why I haven't listed my NOS 1961 grille guard on ebay. So many people think NOS means show quality. It does NOT. I don't want to pay ebay's profit and then have to pay shipping to put it back in my hands. Screw ebay.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Finally after a bunch of phone calls, few emails and a post on their Facebook page I finally got a prepaid mailing label for free return shipping of the gas tank. Initially they said they'd pay for the shipping label but have to deduct $25.00 for the call tag. ?????? I just wanted it over and done with so stuck the label on the box and took it about 15 miles to the nearest Fed-X center.

Even the lady working there felt the way the whole thing went down wasn't very professional. The other day I got notice they received it and refunded the full amount to my account without the $25.00 for the call tag.?????

Anyway, I'm glad it got worked out but with the most expensive part of my 62 restoration coming up Impala Bobs won't be on the list of places to purchase any of the parts I'm going to be needing. Just a piss poor way of jacking customers around to make things right.

Dennis

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Impala Bobs is not the same as Bob's Classic chevy…..or did I miss something?

Licensed to kill

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the replys, I'd gladly split the shipping to be fair. EBay has made it hard for a small seller to sell and make anything and realize it's difficult to make sure every part is an exact replacement part. I'll call again today and see if they will split their shipping cost to get it back to them. They did ship promptly and sent the correct part ordered, just the description didn't match the part needed for my truck.

Thanks again, get this thing back together and get back to the Impala.

Hey Bob Walla, still haven't started that QB engine I got off you. Maybe this spring.

Dennis

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Did they send you the part you ordered or not?.