Quicky 385 build

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, this is one of those projects that doesn't have a good explanation. I had some pieces in various corners of my shop, so I decided to "use them up" by building kind of a period correct street 348. As with all projects, it didn't quite work out as neatly as I had planned, but that's another story and it hapeens to me all the time...

So, I have an early 348 block, a 409 crank and a pile of rods, a nice set of 379 heads that I had ported (??) and added larger valves, guide plates, screw-in studs, etc. pic5.JPG

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The first mock-up produced a wide variance in deck height due to the rods having been previously machined multiple times, producing a variance in actual length. Working through the pile and some swapping improved the situation from what is shown here. Then a final cut was made. I had hoped to use a nice set of new cast pistons that I had on hand, but they have too much material and a steel strut below the pin, and I didn't want to grind on the counterweight, so I had to invest in a set of Icons to move ahead.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here the heads have been installed, and the bottom end sealed up. This build uses a BBC oil pump, shortened pump shaft and a BBC windage tray. Rockers are Scorpion, 1.8 on the intake, 1.75 on the exhaust. The cam is a period correct Isky flat tappet from Show Cars. Not a modern profile, but I had just met Isky himself at Eagle Field and I wanted something kinda typical of the era. Springs, retainers are Crowers.pic 1.JPG pic2.JPG

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So here are some pics with the intake installed, a "tall" Offy for small-ports with Eddy 500's. I used a Victor/Mahle gasket set on most of this one, it was very nice and I think the head gaskets are a good option, if maybe a bit thick. pic8.JPG
Headers are Doug's block huggers, I think the water pump is a Western Auto. I still need to add breathers to the valve covers and work over the distributor. I also primed the entire engine with Brad Penn break in oil before I installed the intake

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there another option to installing breathers on those valve covers? They look very nice, hate to see them with holes in them

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Two good questions:

Pat, I have no idea where it will end up. Like some others, I have more engines than cars right now. This was supposed to be a "consolidation" project, sorta.

Mike, I automatically do breathers on these things for a couple of reasons. I don't think they have much ventilation capacity, and I don't want to run a pump or pan-evac system, plus they don't drain back out of the heads well, and venting the covers helps some. I usually mill out the logo area and add old-school breathers, Eddy in this case.

Always open to suggestions, I used to run PCVs, but the last one I built runs a lot better without it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dave:

What a great project! Keep us posted as to how she performs.

Hopefully it'll find a body to power and you have a lot of fun with it!

Cheers! TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks, Tom. I was thinking about you also usually having more engines than cars!

One reason this happens is that one of my oldest friends (55 yrs plus) owns a machine shop, and his business is only 2 blocks or so from my shop. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves, he has cars ratholed all over town. At this point in his career, he focuses on vintage/oddball/rare/interesting stuff that most of the younger guys avoid. A lot of cool stuff goes through that shop.