Quicky 414 engine build

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, another long story made short. Many years ago, I built a "414" using a 655 block, BBC crank, Scat rods and Aubrey/Ross pistons. Being as it was destined for a "cruiser" project, it had a hydraulic flat tappet cam, Offy intake, self-ported 379s. Nice short block, kind of a poser. I ran it on the run stand, no issues anywhere.

So the project got traded off, less engine of course. The heads and intake went to the "Quicky 385" project I did a while back. This thing had a nice stout short block, but it needed some help. So it got a trip to the gym.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kevin, the 414 may go into 63 Lite, the Nova, although it is a blast to drive with the SBC. Or it may sit around until something else pops up. I missed out on a very cool street legal drag roadster earlier this year because Uncle Sam took more than he deserved. I'm not in Tom's league, but my W stockpile is growing! Now maybe, if you would send me the Sedan Delivery....

Compression-wise, without measuring, I'd say 10:1. That was (I think) the nominal c.r. for those pistons. The reason I didn't be more precise is that if it's too low, I can't do much about it (already zero deck) and if it's too high, I will throw gas at it anyway. Add to that the fact that I love to over-cam everything I touch, so it all works out. Keep in mind I am a back yard hack, not a pro.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hahaha I’m a shade tree gomer myself:crazy Seems like you can over cam everything in california and it’ll run. You do that here at 6000ft and it runs like a three legged dog. You betcha if there wasn’t 1000+ miles between us, ive actually been leaning towards a W for the delivery. Heck I may even start the process this winter....

Very eager to see what that ‘over cammed’ 414 will do on a dyno. I’m gonna guess 575 @ 6500??

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hahaha I’m a shade tree gomer myself:crazy Seems like you can over cam everything in california and it’ll run. You do that here at 6000ft and it runs like a three legged dog. You betcha if there wasn’t 1000+ miles between us, ive actually been leaning towards a W for the delivery. Heck I may even start the process this winter....

Very eager to see what that ‘over cammed’ 414 will do on a dyno. I’m gonna guess 575 @ 6500??
Let me know how your project takes off, sounds like a good one. I'll probably never dyno that thing, but it should get run in this fall. So I guess the formula for "altitude" cars involves lots of static compression and conservative cam selection then?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
:yup

Problem solved.

So I guess the formula for "altitude" cars involves lots of static compression and conservative cam selection then?

Exactly. Great way to kill idle quality and bottom end. Learned that one in high school:thumbdown I’m jealous of all you guys on the coasts, or in the midwest, sea level is so amazing. Any time I go to a sea level track or even a thou or two above, it’s like a 100 shot of nitrous. Throttle response gets really snappy, stuff idles much better, and that power!! Going back home always sucks...

I’ll try to be diligent about my next W project and updates on here, but gosh dang it takes me forever to get anything done anymore.
Anyway, be looking forward to seeing this engine go in something:good