Quicky hot rod project

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, maybe not. This car has a long history. I got it from a friend who got it from the original builder maybe 20 years or more back. I am not sure when it was originally built. It has been through many evolutions and I guess I am next to mess with it. It sits on a square tube aftermarket frame, 65 Buick 401 / TH400 running gear, 4-bar front and rear. Drive train is fresh, runs well and very cool. To me, there are just a lot of details that I want to work on. One of my friends suggested that I would rip out the nailhead and throw in a W, but it is way too cool the way it is, I just need to read up on Buicks.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 53

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's a steel 31 with glass fenders currently. I think it was fenderless in the very beginning and they were added later. And the Buick is definitely staying as long as it runs as well as it does now. Now, if it was to blow up or something....

It's too low, needs some "refinement" here and there, and some touches to make it "mine", but to me, it is an old, pretty honest hot rod.

One thing I haven't figured out. It is very "reflective" inside, especially at night. I don't know if it is the glass, or the tint, or what, but it is pretty annoying and I have never experienced that before. Any ideas??

Clint

Well Known Member
It's a steel 31 with glass fenders currently. I think it was fenderless in the very beginning and they were added later. And the Buick is definitely staying as long as it runs as well as it does now. Now, if it was to blow up or something....

It's too low, needs some "refinement" here and there, and some touches to make it "mine", but to me, it is an old, pretty honest hot rod.

One thing I haven't figured out. It is very "reflective" inside, especially at night. I don't know if it is the glass, or the tint, or what, but it is pretty annoying and I have never experienced that before. Any ideas??
That's weird how do you mean reflective?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The interior lights don't seem to have any effect, it's more the light from outside. I thought it might be because the glass is very flat?? I am assuming it is proper automotive glass. I do know a good glass guy, but I haven't talked to him yet.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I rode in a coupe similiar to yours a co worker had back in the day ,even graffiti yellow . I seem to remember riding at night around town and the reflective you are talking about is light coming in from the rear window mirrowing the inside of windshield . I am thinking that was the car if I remember correctly. That was in around 1982 , a lot of water went under the bridge since then!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The interior lights don't seem to have any effect, it's more the light from outside. I thought it might be because the glass is very flat?? I am assuming it is proper automotive glass. I do know a good glass guy, but I haven't talked to him yet.
I have a '34 Plymouth coupe and the windshield is very "reflective", as you say. It has to do with how vertical the windshield is. If it is angled forward or back a little, it will change the amount the windshield "reflects". I did not do it on my coupe as it was too much trouble and I just decided to live with it.

Nice car - I hope you keep the nailhead. It is pretty cool!
John