Quiz for today

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another quiz, what year did Chevrolet make it's first V-8 and what were the cubic inchs?:p Roy

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1955, 265 cubic inch small block, but I'm always wrong about everything, just ask my wife.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another quiz, what year did Chevrolet make it's first V-8 and what were the cubic inchs?:p Roy

1917. It was a 2 piece block but i can't remember the displacement. I have an old parts catalog that has a parts breakdown illustration for it but I haven't seen it in a while. Maybe I'll dig it out.:coffee:

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Absolutely Right, I saw one in 1950, a touring car. Another thing that isn't well Known is that Louis Chevrolet and his partner Durant opened their first production plant in Canada. How about that Aubrey. :clap Roy

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i have the book here someplace, and the car is local. but as i recall, 287 inches, nickel rocker covers, shared babbitt bearings on the rod pairs and an updraft carb. there is a 1917 on display at damascus chevy. (in maryland) the first car they ever sold.
i think i read the bowtie was copied off of some wall paper in a hotel in france.
disclaimer: all this is from memory except the car, it's for real.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Dave

you hang around with the crazy guys on this website you will learn things you never thought of. as one of our older members told me a few years back, " just set back and enjoy the ride "

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
[you hang around with the crazy guys on this website you will learn things you never thought of. as one of our older members told me a few years back, " just set back and enjoy the ride "]

Older members? what's an older member?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey DQ, I was born in the 30's not the 1890's. But I wish that I was old enough to buy that 1917 Chev that had the V-8. It was in a wrecking yard in Rogers Ark., we were getting some parts for my uncle's truck. Also did you know that Chevrolet made a 4 banger in 1928. It would blow the doors off a Model A F**d. There used to be a 4 banger class at the drags and two guys had a Crossley with a 28 Chev 4 cylinder with 2 Stombergs on it. It pulled high 13's at 94 to 95 mph. That beat most 4 banger dragsters until Mickey Thompson came along with his Tempest powered Rail:p Roy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey DQ, I was born in the 30's not the 1890's. But I wish that I was old enough to buy that 1917 Chev that had the V-8. It was in a wrecking yard in Rogers Ark., we were getting some parts for my uncle's truck. Also did you know that Chevrolet made a 4 banger in 1928. It would blow the doors off a Model A F**d. There used to be a 4 banger class at the drags and two guys had a Crossley with a 28 Chev 4 cylinder with 2 Stombergs on it. It pulled high 13's at 94 to 95 mph. That beat most 4 banger dragsters until Mickey Thompson came along with his Tempest powered Rail:p Roy

Roy,
I traded my Cushman Highlander and $50 for a 28 Chevy Cabriolet coupe in 1958. It was in a farmers field and hadn't run since 53. I towed it home, changed the oil, filled the radiator, put a battery in it and fuel in the header tank on the firewall and it fired right up. You're right about that overhead valve 4 banger outrunning Model A's. That was a really smooth engine. Too bad The body wood was all gone. :cool:

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I have one of those coffee table books about Chevrolet, published by Collectable Automobile or one of those. In it there's a claim that in 1933 Chevy, in response to the success of the 1932 Ford V8, had designed an OHV V8. Since the six-cylinder Chevrolets still seemed to be selling well, the plans to produce the V8 were abandoned.

It's the only place I ever read or heard about any such animal. Wouldn't it be neat to find documentation, drawings, pics of it, assuming the story to be true.

Anybody else heard the tale?