R.I.P. Brian Thompson you have always been a great friend, you will always be remembered.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
I think what GRUB just said says it all
I am truley sorry for everything, but none was by caused by me
he was a friend , and I drank beer, and shared meals with him, did swap meets and exchanged parts
he laughed and frowned, but alway had a postive attitude about everything
and thats the way I want to remember him

REST IN PRACE MY FRIEND , AND HOPEFULLY WE WILL MEET AGAIN
life is not about the past, but about the future and remembering the good times
hope his life will be remembered in the following way

""LIFE'S JORUNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFTLEY, IN A WELL PRESURVED BODY. BUT RATHER, TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTTALY WORN OUT SHOUTING

HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND AND SAVE ME A SPOT

Roger and Joyce gunter

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Wow, just recieved this news yesterday . shocked , saddened & stunned . Life is a great struggle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best to his family & close friends.

Rest In Peace , Brian

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Seth I also talked with Brian about his blood disorder. fortunately for him, it was a controllable form that he kept in control with his meds. Brian has known for years that he had this condition, his father passed away several years ago from leukemia so the chances of having a hereditary blood disorder was something he was familiar with but his diagnosis was not a terminal one according to him. His pain came in the form of several things. His divorce was to go through that fateful day. he had closed the shop, he felt he failed it. he no longer had his home and he no longer had her. In his text he stated how he was "officially homeless, jobless and loveless" - I wish he could have seen those were all temporary.
I can tell you we knew he was depressed for over a year now and we hoped the shop would pull him out of this but he could not focus because he did not want to lose her.
The morning brian took his own life, he posted pictures from his wedding day. it was a last message to her of how much he did not want to lose her. in his last text message to me he explained that he couldnt go on and could not get over her leaving him.
As many times as he talked about "ending it all" I never would have thought he would for the sake of his daughter. I guess until you are in that persons shoes, you never really know how bad it hurts.
Brians viewing will be monday. The info is posted on his facebook page. He will be returned to Virginia and wished to be cremated. Thats all I will speak on from now on. I know he would want us all to continue making the best we can out of life.

One thing is for certain, I will not judge Brian's decision. All that I hope that he is in a better place now (Which I know he is).

348strkr

I never met Brian but by all the posts i know he was loved. I was wondering without knowing the family, is their anyway his daughter could keep his car. Rest in Peace, Brian

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rest In Peace, Brother. We will miss you. Now I see why you hadn't returned my messages.Enjoy bench racing with Fred.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I knew Brian well enough to call him a buddy. I had the privilege of having a few lengthy conversations with him just before his passing. He never mentioned anything about his illness. We talked about loves lost and little else. I bought his "Fast" fuel air spark Tech. kit. What impressed me the most, when I realized the pressure Brian was enduring, he still took the time to make sure I was satisfied with my purchase. Brian took the time to order and include in the deal a new oxygen sensor bung. With the pressure he was under at the time I don't know how he made that effort? I think it helps describe the type of man he is. Brian, Dave and Fred will be with us at the Thompson meet sitting somewhere with Winston at their feet cheering us all on. RIP. guys, we will carry on in your names.

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am speechless! I never formally met Brian I saw him at Thompson Raceway Park but I know that his knowledge of these cars will be missed. I hope his family does find away to deal with this loss.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You guys may (or may not) have noticed I haven't been on here for quite a while. Brian was my motivation for doing my 58. Last year I sent him an email from my truck, "what's up b*!*ch" ?. His reply was "getting a divorce and dying no s#*%t". I called and we spoke for nearly an hour and he told me he was diagnosed with Myelofibrosis. Google it. I telling you guys this cuz apparently he was fibbing to some a little bit to protect you. There is no cure, he was only given 3-5. I stopped in a few times on my way through at the shop and we talked.
We have been playing phone tag for about a month or so. When I got a different message on his voice mail I decided to check here and seen this. Last message I left on his phone yesterday was "tag you're it, call me".
I know I'm rambling all over but I'm pretty screwed up right now.
I may not have been his best friend ,but he was mineand Ive let him down.

:crazy The smiley he said Bob created just for me. I'll miss him more htan he'll ever know

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ray, where the hell have you been? Is it something we said or did you just outgrow us?
Been worried about you.:dunno

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil is 100% right! We've been worried about you. Don't be gone so long next time! Even if you've outgrown us stop in a say hi sometimes. I'm loosing to many friends lately and don't want to loose any more.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I just mentioned to the wife last night that Ray has not checked in since Dec. 21. Been wondering about you. Glad you are back!

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys. When Brian told me what was going on with him I kinda lost heart. I met Brian at Thompson in 09 and we since had become good friends. He had called me about a month ago and wanted to come up to Illinois to pick up my 58, haul it back to Texas and finish it. I had just bought an enclosed trailer and told him I'd bring it down on vacation as it was all apart and I didn't think it a good idea to haul it on his open. Brian didn't like the media blast on the gold 61 as it had warped it so I found a place to soda blast it (it was supposed to be done last week) . I was going to call to see if it was done, take a vacation and suprise Brian by bringing it down and staying a week with him. When I seen on the Impala shop facebook that he closed it I tried calling him to offeer him to stay up here with me and see if I could get him a job or set up shop here. I don't get online very often so tonite I'm in a hotel and was going to check to see if maybe he emailed me, then decided to check in here and the first thing I seen was Brian Thompson Memorial. I also didn't know about Dave passing, Last I knew he was sick.
I knew a lot of what was going on with Brian that I won't post. Had I known he shared some with others I would have done things much differently and he'd still be with us. I will share this. In one of our talks he told me we all had better drive our cars in his funeral. I told him in that case I would not finish the 58 and besides he would have to design the Fred Totten /Brian Thompson shirts. He really was trying very very hard to get through it all. I don't like but I understand.

:crazy

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have been on this thread over a dozen times and i still cant really say how i feel.
I live on the other side of the planet from most of you guys and as Aubrey said will most likely never meet you in person but this web site is a joyful place and its the members on here that attract you to it, not for just information but for the friendship that the regular visitors and not so regulars show toward each other.
I have only ever had web based contact with Brian and as every one else has already stated found him to be more than the required amount of helpful and I have enjoyed reading his threads on the rebuild of the 62 and all the other things in his life, Impala Shop, Texas scavenging trips etc. I would have loved to have met him.
I only hope that the threads for Brian, Dave etc stay on here and that the Avatars don't change. It is who they are.
I had an ex partner that decided to leave early a few years back and i still beat myself up about not being there or in a male way not picking up the small signals.
I will never ask why because i am not in their shoes. if faced with the exact same information would i make the same decision?? who knows. can not for certain say that i wouldn't.
We all make decisions in normal life that others, even your friends don't understand but when things are so stressed that you cant focus on any one thing that is wrong, decisions become harder to define.
I think Brian would have wanted every one on here as well as all of the other people around this world that knew him to understand his decision as being his, and if just hearing the name "Brian Thompson" brought back a memory that made their day brighter or gave them a glimpse of a smile he would be happy.
Sorry if i rambled a bit guys, i guess that happens sometimes
Steve

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Loss for words ... RIP Brian you will be missed greatly!!! God Speed my friend!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick And I attended Brian's service yesterday evening and relayed our 348-409 group condolences to his mom as well to Brooke as we are the closest to the Parksley/Onnancock area. He has a very large loving family up here and will be missed by all.
Robert