Race History

djg59

I'm interested in racing history and not that familiar with the 409, and am trying to learn more about the 409's race history. In particular, any Road Racing history. Most of the info that I've been finding, is based on Drag Racing. Is the 409 not suited to Road Racing? Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
NASCAR tracks and the early 409

According to Terry Boyce's monograph "Chevy Super Sports 1961-1976" (page 13) "Rex White introduced the 409 to the NASCAR tracks with one of the 360-hp fire-breathers in his 1961 Bel Air Sport Coupe" (picture included on same page).

Of course, there was Dyno Don Nicholson (Roy's buddy :) at Pomona tearing up the 1961 NHRA Winternationals (one of the first 409s on the West Coast?).

Dan Gurney also ran the 409 with the 369 HP in a somewhat stock Impala at the Silverstone International Trophy Race in merry old England. This was a production sedan race, and I think he ran against Jaguars and such.

Then there was Louis Unser and those Pike's Peak hill climbs (was it an SS or a Bel Air?)...

Boyce's book also mentions Ned Jarett form North Carolina winning the Grand National Champion (NASCAR) in a 409 car. Durability was the key issue here, as he was "consistently near the top during the entire season" (Boyce, p. 12).

Hope this helps some. I bet there are other factual stories out there as well.

Cheers,
Tom K

djg59

Thanks Tom. I am familair with the Siverstone event. That hint definately points me in the right direction!! Sounds like Boyce's book is also a good source of info, I'll have to pick it up.

Dan

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gurney also ran that same car at Riverside beating the track record holder Corvette !!

Attachments

• dangurney.jpg
    dangurney.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 459

djg59

Great picture! Thanks! Other then Boyce's book, are there other sources of info that you can point me to? Any sites on line?

I have been able to find sources of race results, but they are very general.

Dan

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
O YEH,,,,Gurney also used this car as his transportation between races !!! ,,,,,dq