Racing Chevy's In 1964

SHAWN B

Now I know that Chevrolet officially pulled out of organized racing in early '63. I have seen a lot of Impalas and Belairs that still raced that year.
Did anyone race '64 Impalas etc in 1964? I've never see any action pics. Anyone have some?

-Shawn B

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
So far as NASCAR was concerned, none of the front runners used Chevrolets in '64 but several of the "independents" ran them. I doubt any new '64 Impala's were built, they were reskinned '63's. Roy Tyner and G.C. Spencer were a couple of guys that come to mind as having raced the '64's

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
So far as NASCAR was concerned, none of the front runners used Chevrolets in '64 but several of the "independents" ran them. I doubt any new '64 Impala's were built, they were reskinned '63's. Roy Tyner and G.C. Spencer were a couple of guys that come to mind as having raced the '64's

Tom G.C. Spencer...Now there is a name from the past. A true independent:clap
I never met him although I am sure that you did
robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"G.C. Spencer...Now there is a name from the past. A true independent
I never met him although I am sure that you did"

Robert,
Yes, I did, sadly he passed away a year or so ago. For the most part he was an independent but he was driving one of those "rocket ships" at Daytona in '63. He drove one on Ray Foxes cars in the '63 Daytona 500