racing in reseda the old days

skywarnohio

my life long friend larry starkey[deceased ] and myself, danny adkinson, raced our 36 ford coupe on victory blvd by bob's drive in in the 60's. it was a 348 out to 400" with 409 heads , jann's power slot pistons , with 6 2barrel carbs, a close ratio 4-speed and 538 gears. we were very succesful on the street. the good old days. the biggest prob we had was pulling studs. we remeded that by drilling the studs and pinniing them with old packard needel bearins. we ran big m&h racemaster dragster slicks. that car was for real. these were the old days in the valley, roger gates was our buddy running a dragster called " cracklin rose" lost touch with everyone, larry o'fria at valley head service too!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site!:beerbang Sounds like you guys had a great setup.:clap Have you noticed that a lot of guys are busy building rods today that are a lot like the one you had all those years ago.:scratch

vncruiser

Ah Ha! Another ex-Van Nuys Blvd cruiser too I'll bet.....Valley Head Service....Haven't heard that name in years! Lots of great cars roamed the Valley back in those days....For those of you not in the know....we are talking about the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles....A real hot bed of hot rods then and now. A lot of people were/are based there....Dick Landy, Ed Pink, Don Prudhomme, Tommy Ivo, Larry At VHS, Joe Mondello (Olds wiz) and many more. Van Nuys Blvd was legendary for cruising and setting up races.
Good to see another Valley boy here!
Reid