Racing in the early days.

George Klass

Well Known Member
Funny cars are still amazing but NHRA will soon start power limiting steps to further keep speeds down. Perhaps they should start looking to the past and designing the body less toward aerodynamics and toward cars that LOOK like the old Funny Cars. Who wouldnt want to see a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang FC or 1972 Vega Wagon?

No kidding.
bigearlyfunnycar.jpg
A Mustang Funny Car in 1965...

bigfunnycarnew.jpg
A Mustang Funny Car today.

George Klass

Well Known Member
I like the one from 1965 better, its a better representation of a real car.

I agree, and the reason it's a better representation of a real car is because it is (or was) a real car. It's full of parts manufactured by FoMoCo. I doubt that "new" Funny Car has a single part or component that was originally produced by Ford.

The 409 Chevy first appeared in 1961, fifty nine years ago, and the Z-11 three years later. And they still grab our attention. In my opinion, it's because they were REAL cars. Even the Funny Cars back then were REAL cars, or at least "modified" from real cars. Fifty nine years from now (2079), does anyone think that a carbon fiber replica of an upside down soap dish with a tubular frame and an engine that was never produced to be in a "real" vehicle will be of interest to anyone? Fifty nine years from now does anyone think there will be a website devoted to something that looked like it was from an old (2019) Star Wars movie? I highly doubt it...