Racing story

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In the 58, 59 and 60 the movies got into drag racing and some of the stars started racing. Tom Ivo being the most famous. Jim Mitchum had a 1957 Chev C gasser that was pretty good for a street driven racer. I had a occasion to race Tommy Rentig [sp]. He had a 57 F--d that had a factory paxton supercharger. Everybody including Don Nicholson, Jerry Jardine and Les Richey drove their cars to work and drove them to track and raced them. Tommy shows up with a mechanic and a driver. You could run 1 size over on your tires, that is if the factory put 8.00X14 you could run 8.50X14. I beat Tommy and he protested me but didn't want to pay the money to take a head off so they reinspected the car and found I had 8.50X14's on which was allowed on Impalas but not Biscaynes. The track said since they had passed my car the first time we could run the race over if I would put 8.00X14's on. I didn't have any but a kind racer with a 57 loaned me a pair. I blew Tommy's doors off again and he threw a temper tantrum you wouldn't believe, the guy driving his car was embarrassed by even being near him. He lived up to the stories they tell about movie stars. :D Roy

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tommy Rettig

I remember the name Tommy Rettig, but don't remember what he was in. HELP

Fred

Good story

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy boy?

Tom Rettig,Played Jeff on the original lassie series. Jeffs collie.
Seems apropriate for a whining ford owner.:D