Racing the 1962 Family Car (Z11)

oil4kids

Well Known Member
heres a story about Dick Harrels 62 409 by Tom Mc Neely

This memory involves Dick's wife Elaine.

We were at Dick's house getting ready to go somewhere and he, I and his wife Elaine were sitting around visiting.

The subject of Dick's old 62 came up. Elaine told the story about the days when she used to drive the car to work at the bank every day. When she would stop at a red light, the aluminum front end would shake and the car would rattle due to the rough idle. Evidently, people who couldn't afford to race Dick would try to get Elaine to race figuring she would be easier than Dick to beat. It is my understanding this wasn't the case as Elaine would beat them heads up on the street.

Tommy McNeely

bobs409

Administrator
WOW! I could almost feel and see that hood shake as I read that. lol

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I was born just a little too late! :mad:

FS560

Well Known Member
Well, I graduated college in 1963 and my first new car was a 63 - 409/400 - wide ratio that I installed a 4.56 in. Could not afford to drive it so I sold it after about 6 months. So I was also born too late.

I did have some fast stuff later but never have been able to have play cars that did not have to be daily drivers. 67 435 Corvette, 70 GS Stage I.

Now all I have is an old PU, a Blazer, and a Subaru.

And the cars I love are now too expensive anyway.

I did get the opportunity to see up close and personal a brand new Z11 at the old Roanoke drag strip. The guy brought it in with the 4.11 gear and street tires and raced it.

I am afraid to go to any of the shows where cars like this are. It would be bad for people to see a grown man with tears in his eyes and streaming down his cheeks.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Oil4kids,
Great story,
I too, was born too late for all the good stuff.
But not too late to not have an appreciation for these cars and the stories of the people who were there.

FS560 said:
I am afraid to go to any of the shows where cars like this are. It would be bad for people to see a grown man with tears in his eyes and streaming down his cheeks.

You just reminded me of the old television commercial with people littering and the Native american with tears rolling down his face.

Anybody remember that commercial??

oil4kids

Well Known Member
HArrells 62 z11

another photo of Harrells 62 alum front end Z11 delivered with the steel front end then he was shipped the Aluminum front end

Attachments

• DH_IMPALA_BLK_62.jpg
    DH_IMPALA_BLK_62.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 222

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Mark
That is a cool picture. It brings back lots of old memories. My first drag race was the summer of 58. I raced a 41 Furd in, I think, F/S. That was the lowest class they had that day. I don't know if those first early races at the local strip were even NHRA sanctioned, fun anyway.

I don't remember ever hearing about alum front ends on 62's. Not until this forum and saw my first at KC in Sept. But I must have heard about them. I used to read all the magazines that had anything to do with 409 racing, so I must have known that 42 years ago, just can't remember them. Did any come installed from the factory? Or were they all ordered over the counter and installed later? Were they available to anyone? Were they then called Z-11 like the 63's?
Ron

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Oil?????

Do you know where that first picture of Dickey's car was taken? I think I know but wanted to see if you have any of the history.

That car now is perfectly restored......still has the aluminum front end on it............and

(oh be still my heart!!!!)

has something like 312 MILES ON THE ODOMETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are real miles too....not turned back during a restoration!!!

Just thought you might want to know. I tried to have it here for the convention but it didn't work out. :doh :doh

REALLY!!!!!

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Harrells Z11

Do you know where that first picture of Dickey's car was taken? I think I know but wanted to see if you have any of the history.

I think that was Hobbs Dragway in New Mexico, Ill have to check with Valerie

(oh be still my heart!!!!)

has something like 312 MILES ON THE ODOMETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are real miles too....not turned back during a restoration!!!

Just thought you might want to know. I tried to have it here for the convention but it didn't work out. :doh :doh

REALLY!!!!![/QUOTE]