Racing Update-a few weeks late!

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
As you know, the first week out with the 380HP stroker it ran 11.04 at 118mph. The next time out the track had no hook but I ran 11.05 at 121mph. The 60' was a slow 1.61 compared to the previous 1.54-1.55. I only went two rounds. Two weeks ago I raced in the worst air ever! First pass was 11.13 at 119.89mph. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, was running 5 to 8 hundredths slower than the last time out. And continued to slow .02 to .04 each round. I made it to the fourth round and was on an 11.33. I broke out with an 11.32, and for the first time all day my car would have repeated(it ran 11.31 the previous round). My opponent didn't dial up and ran it out the back door and ran 12.56 on a 12.55. Then last weekend we almost raced until a TORNADO touched down south of the track along with lightning, hail, and ungodly rain. We're going to try to race this Saturday.(chance of rain this weekend as usual!)

Travis, it sounds like that thing screams !
I'm curious about what you are using for fuel, tires, gear ratio, trans ?
Obviously, you have some exprience drag racing :bow

Travis Horton

Well Known Member
Aubrey,
Our track sells Track Tec (Phillips) fuel. I use the 111 octane. The slicks are 9x29.5 almost worn out Mickey's. I have a Powerglide with an Edge Racing Converters 4200rpm converter. The only mods to the rear suspension are air bags and a strap on the main cap. Posi and 4.56 gear. It could actually use a 4.30 which brings us to the next mod. Dad found a Mark Williams aluminum draw-through third member with 35 spline spool and 4.56 gear at a swap meet for 600 bucks! It's a F***. Dad's tube chassis 61 Impala with Lenco and 632 engine has the identical third member with 4.30 gear. Hmm...
Thanks for the interest.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good work Travis !!!
I like the 380 HP thing !!????

I`ll be going to a test and tune today to find out how my 62 does and what needs to be done.
It`s hot today 92* so I don`t expect any record numbers and I need to figure out all the new changes I`ve made.
So the times won`t be the thing I`ll be working on,,,,,launch rpm ,shift rpm and minor tuning will be the plan.
O YEH !!! AND,,,, me !! I need to get some time behind the wheel !!

I`d like to be ready for the Oldies but Goodies on the 26th,,,, and only two test and tunes befor then,,,,,dq

Ah yes, Travis, your combintion obviously was not bought off the shelf at your local parts store ;) .
Very nice :D !
MAN, that thing must be producing some torque :eek: ... You figure you need less gear ?
We poor guys with the stock crank ..... NO TORQUE :dunno .... Gotta do it with GEAR... and RPM !

Thanks for posting that info... I see 10-'s on your next time out :clap

Good luck, DQ :beerbang .... although I bet you're having a traction problem now :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CDNpontiac409guy said:
Good luck, DQ :beerbang .... although I bet you're having a traction problem now :D

Ahhhhhh YES !! Never thought I`d be spinning my stickies !!!
BUT THEY WERE !!!!

Kept lowering the pressure but ran out of runs before the end of the night !!

See my update post :D :D :D ,,,dq

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Travis - Those are some very impressive times!!!!!

I was in Pittsburg on Saturday for a family reunion. I buckeled the kids in back seat of the 63' and made the trip. With the 3.55 and short tires the engine was turning 3000-3500 for the 260 miles down there and back...made passing a real blast. I wanted to stop by the store and meet you but time did not permit. I did see a couple of 64s. One was in the store window on main and a guy was cruzing main in a green 64' with a NHRA tag on the front. It sounded fairly stout.

TomO