Radiator drain

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I have a new COLD CASE radiator and I recently checked the antifreeze in it for the Winter. It only was safe to 0 degrees. My plan was to drain some out and put the exact same full strength antifreeze back in. I went to drain some out with the bottom drain plug and none would come out no matter what. Fully in or fully out, nothing. I then had to undo the bottom radiator hose with a tower clamp, and what a PITA that was. Antifreeze all over as usual. I then put full strength in it and I'm protected to -30 degrees below. Gets any colder then that, I'm moving to CA lol. Anyhow, I want to correct this problem. Should I try opening this drain with a wire or take it out completely and replace it? The whole radiator would drain if I have to take it out completely. Another mess. But, I do want it corrected. Must be plugged some how? I'm hoping to be able to buy a replacement if I need it. Thanks for any advice, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
You can get a new one just about anywhere. Even Harbor freight has them for about $3 bucks. Just put a big pan under and unscrew the whole thing. You might find the problem once it's out. Probably just some crud blocking it.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
They also make a petcock that you can insert into your lower radiator hose it’s one piece of tubing with the petcock in the middle .....more potential leaks but .......may be an easier spot to get to

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great guys. Thanks for the reply's. I appreciate it. Yes, I was only kidding about moving to CA. I think I would miss this frozen tundra way too much. Like I would miss a dose of syphilis :roll, Carmine.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Their is two water jacket pipe pugs, one on each side of the block, that you can change out to peacocks, also.
That may be harder to reach, but it another way to drain once they are installed.
Dave

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
And if you could, please video that so we can all enjoy it. :pop:laugh4
HAHAHA. Turned the petcock all the way in and still nothing came out. Used a small piece of wire and kind of reamed the inside of the petcock as deep as I could go. Antifreeze started flowing then. Must have had a serious plug. Anyway, all is good. Thanks ya' all, Carmine.