Radio antenna

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Is the antenna supposed to ground to the fender? My radio works OK but if my antenna isn't positioned just right I have no sound. Also, if I touch the antenna the sound gets quieter. Is it possible that my antenna cable has some corrosion in it? Any help would be great!
Ross

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would guess that your radio has a problem.

Check the wiring on the radio.
It could be several things including: a bad ground or bad speaker wiring or jaust as you said , the antenna wire is bad.

good luck, dq

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Impalaguru said:
Is the antenna supposed to ground to the fender? My radio works OK but if my antenna isn't positioned just right I have no sound. Also, if I touch the antenna the sound gets quieter. Is it possible that my antenna cable has some corrosion in it? Any help would be great!
Ross
Yes is is grounded.... If you are trying it inside a garage, that will happen. If you moved the mount or changed something, your radio may need antenna trimming. To trim the antenna, remove the radio knobs on the right side and you will see a hole into the radio. Take a small screw driver and find the adj screw. Turn on the radio and tune it to AM 1400 and turn up the volume. Turn and adjust the screw until it makes the loudest noise. For best results, do this outside and not is a garage.
Good Luck, Mick

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the tip, Mick! I bet that will work. Its not the original antenna and its been off and on a few times since I've had the car.
Ross