Ragan's '59 El Camino Rebuild Project

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just use original bias ply tires, they had an unlimited speed rating, as did the original driveshaft.

The world has changed, we now buy bottled water which has an expiry date on it? Business has decided that everything they make and sell has to have limits and an expiration date...........

A modern S rated radial, probably speed rated to 110, is 100 times a better/stronger/safer tire than the old say 1963 bias OE supplied tire but we could have driven the old bias 140+?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got my new driveshaft from Mark Williams last week and went to install it because I think the lower plate where the frame comes together may need material removed so the one piece will fit. However, I can't get the driveshaft even close to where it needs to be so I can measure. I need to take the rear axle out because it is in the way. I'll be sure I do this before too much time passes.
I'm hoping when I take the rear Jag IRS unit out (two mounting bolts and the shocks, easily done) that not much has to be removed from that bottom plate. With a live axle, I've seen a fair amount of the bottom plate gets removed so the axle has room to move.
Guess I'll find out later this month. Keeping my fingers crossed

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hey Ragan, post some chassis pics if/when you can, I'm curious what you had to do to get a 1pc driveshaft in it. Contemplating that upgrade myself. Thanks!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ragan, post some chassis pics if/when you can, I'm curious what you had to do to get a 1pc driveshaft in it. Contemplating that upgrade myself. Thanks!
When it's in, I'll post the pics. Probably later this month. However, my work will be less than yours. Because of the movement/articulation of a live axle, I think the rear most six inches or so will need to be removed on that bottom plate. Fathead Racing is running a one piece I believe.
For useful information about the one piece drive shaft and a live axle, either search or post your own thread with questions.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of pics and info.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I can remember as a kid reading an article in super chevy magazine... I believe Greg Reimer, one of our members here on the forum .....Who was the president of the 409 club owned a 62 409 four-speed car......The same one they did the 12 bolt install article on with Doug Marion .......and I believe that was the car they put the one piece driveshaft in ........my memory could be tricking me, but I believe it was ......I wanna say the driveshaft used came from a 69 Chevelle ....... obviously would have to be verified

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I got my new driveshaft from Mark Williams last week and went to install it because I think the lower plate where the frame comes together may need material removed so the one piece will fit. However, I can't get the driveshaft even close to where it needs to be so I can measure. I need to take the rear axle out because it is in the way. I'll be sure I do this before too much time passes.
I'm hoping when I take the rear Jag IRS unit out (two mounting bolts and the shocks, easily done) that not much has to be removed from that bottom plate. With a live axle, I've seen a fair amount of the bottom plate gets removed so the axle has room to move.
Guess I'll find out later this month. Keeping my fingers crossed

Hey Ragan,
Sounds like you are moving along with it quite nicely.
In general with a standard rear end the material removed from the bottom plate is determined by desired ride height which you are no doubt aware of
When i lowered Lynettes 60 impala i had clearence issues on the floor pan under rear seat and nothin at the bottom of the plate at the rear of the "x"

It would totally depend on your pinion/Yoke position in your application
Cant remember when i put the Jag rear in my 37 ford as to how much different it was in vertical position to original?
At least it is a non moving part so if you have clearance it will not change

There are pictures on here somewhere of a removeable bottom plate (bolted) so you could drop your drive shaft

Steve

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ragan,
Sounds like you are moving along with it quite nicely.
In general with a standard rear end the material removed from the bottom plate is determined by desired ride height which you are no doubt aware of
When i lowered Lynettes 60 impala i had clearence issues on the floor pan under rear seat and nothin at the bottom of the plate at the rear of the "x"

It would totally depend on your pinion/Yoke position in your application
Cant remember when i put the Jag rear in my 37 ford as to how much different it was in vertical position to original?
At least it is a non moving part so if you have clearance it will not change

There are pictures on here somewhere of a removeable bottom plate (bolted) so you could drop your drive shaft

Steve
Definitely making good progress Steve. Part of me wishes I had taken a height measurement of the yoke before removing the original axle, but it wouldn't do a lot of good since I'm changing the tire size as well.
This is one fun grand experiment as it is. A ton learned for sure.
Once I have a chance to get the driveshaft in place, I'll get pics posted.

I think the info you have about the bottom plate material to be removed will help Kevin (@benchseat4speed) more than me. Especially the idea about a removable plate.

Last edited: