Ragan's '59 El Camino Rebuild Project

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have half a mind to put the power steering pump up here out of the way and run just the one belt.

15993984681767945646919014426186.jpg15993985139271618498786986169812.jpg15993985356187309292174508494791.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You have to be careful bending the V belt inwards, it will make the belt crack in short order.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I spent what felt like a month full of Sundays playing with the alignment. It got easier once I cut some threaded rod into 6 inch sections, threaded into the head and used nuts on both sides of the braket. This allowed for nearly infinite adjustment and I could dial in the spacing.
Once I had the spacing dialed in, everything finally worked.
I had made a shield like Don suggested'ish but it seemed like a good backup idea.
T
With the pulley, I think it turned out great!
15994002597973153722831881091383.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you know billet specialty makes a front runner for 348,409 win ac and power steering. Everything needed . $2500.00 Maybe you was aware ,don't know , now you do!!:D

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you know billet specialty makes a front runner for 348,409 win ac and power steering. Everything needed . $2500.00 Maybe you was aware ,don't know , now you do!!:D
Yep, they have some pretty engine bling for every wanted accessory but one, the pro charger. When I checked them out, they didn't have a plan to support it either.
I'll see if they have changed their offerings.
Thanks for the heads up!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There isn't much belt/pulley contact. Do you think it will turn it?
Regarding the belt contact, although I'm only holding place by hand, I can raise it a bit to increase some contact, but it'll never be close to the contact with rounding a corner.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On your P/S,why not convert the P/S to electric? It would save a bunch of space on your engine.
I had not considered one. I will check the out. I would imagine it would work with the rack and pinion.
A bigger question might also be, would it also be able able to power the Hydroboost unit?
My engibuilder is concerned abut generating vacuum for the brakes. His solution/idea is to bypass the engine for a source of vacuum and use the Hydroboost which is powered by the power steering pump.

Maybe it's time to take a step back and ask the broader brain trust what is a good solution for power brakes and power steering.
Thoughts guys?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
All of the electric p/s installs that I have seen personally have been "home runs" as far as the owners have been concerned; I think they were aftermarket kits, thus a little more pricey than a wrecking yard project. As far as the brakes go, do you really want/need p/b, or would a correctly-sized manual system work? Just asking!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All of the electric p/s installs that I have seen personally have been "home runs" as far as the owners have been concerned; I think they were aftermarket kits, thus a little more pricey than a wrecking yard project. As far as the brakes go, do you really want/need p/b, or would a correctly-sized manual system work? Just asking!
Thanks for the input on the electric power steering. Definitely going to put some time into researching those.
If I really end up with 700 hp, I don't know that I'd feel comfortable without power brakes.