Raising X-frame on a two post lift

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
I have installed a two (2) post lift in my garage. I have a 64 Impala. I am having trouble finding a suitable place for the rear pads of the lift. I have been using the area just behind the intersection of the frame rails but that position leaves the pads very very close to each other. The car rocks too much too suit me when the lift starts up or I release the lift to lower. Do people use the rocker panels in the rear as lift points. Are they stout enough? Thanks

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You need to use a lift with very long arms or it won't work. Most standard 2-post lifts aren't able to lift an X frame car safely. The two post lifts designed for trucks and other HD equipment work fine however as the arms are much longer. I wouldn't lift a car by the rockers! Those are hollow and not designed to lift at that point. Be careful!

de31168

Well Known Member
I remember doing mine at work before we had a drive on lift. I'd run a 4x4 block across the rear section pretty close to where the rear control arms mounted and on the rear lift arms to pick it up. As long as you're not doing driveshaft work it was never a problem.

R_XII

had my 59 El Camino on one for a long time. We just put the back arms on the bottom of the body. Wrapped the pads with some cloth rags and it was fine. went up and down dozens of times. Even jacked the rear end up a few times with a jack while it was up in the air. felt plenty safe for us. I wasn't worried about the body though since it still needs to all be done. Id didn't dent anything though.

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
I remember doing mine at work before we had a drive on lift. I'd run a 4x4 block across the rear section pretty close to where the rear control arms mounted and on the rear lift arms to pick it up. As long as you're not doing driveshaft work it was never a problem.
Stinks
This the route that makes sense to me. I was thinking this way and good to hear someone second it. Thank you

de31168

Well Known Member
Oh and by the way, the only time i've used the rockers as lift points was when I undid all the body to frame bolts, set the frame back down, moved the rack arms to the rockers, and lifted the body up off the frame. They held just fine for that. My 59 also had a rolled lip rocker where the body wraps around the bottom. At least your 64 has a pinch weld under it. It should be much stronger.

59 NSS - 409 Charlie

I have a 9,000 lbs 2 post hoist brand name Forward out of Texas--and arms are ok as long as you know where to put car-- Front pads go on frame at the closet point toward rocker panel--the rear I put on the frame right next to the brackets that the bottom arms are bolted to. I also have a 7,000 older hoist maybe 20-30 years old the front is ok but the rear is a problem--I have NMW traction bars on the car and that is where I put the rear arms--works fine--the older hoist arms are a lot shorter. The 9,000 hoist is a 1997 and works great but the arm are a lot longer. Good Luck .

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Hi, I don't think I understand what you are saying. The 4x4 would be wood and you run it under the frame, across from lift arm to lift arm? I just bought a '64 and have a 2 post lift I wanted to use. Can't believe this. This stuff only happens to me.

de31168

Well Known Member
Yes sir you are correct. I know the 4x4 block I had was pretty strong, but I suppose you could use something else in its place. They may also offer replacement rear lift arms and you'd have to just change the arms out. The issue is obviously the arms do not reach far enough towards the center of the vehicle to reach the frame.

de31168

Well Known Member
Here were some pics from my rebuild thread - These did not include the wood. Also the car was on the lift backwards. In the initial picture the rear arms were under the frame to lift and unbolt it, in the subsequent pictures they're under the rockers to lift just the body. Definitely not show car quality, so aside from safety I wasn't too concerned with scratching paint or doing damage.

03-15-10_1757.jpg

03-16-10_0752.jpg

03-16-10_0758.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes sir you are correct. I know the 4x4 block I had was pretty strong, but I suppose you could use something else in its place. They may also offer replacement rear lift arms and you'd have to just change the arms out. The issue is obviously the arms do not reach far enough towards the center of the vehicle to reach the frame.

Thank you for your response and the pics. My lift is about 6 months old and appears to have long back arms on it. So much so, that I presently have my '56 Chev on it and I have the arms collasped all the way in. I catch the frame, front and rear, just before it curves upward. Not that I would, but if I did bring it closer to the center, I think the arms would be too long. Maybe this will work in my favor which would be a welcomed change. I also bought 2 lift stands. When I have the car at the height I want, I put one under the A frame and the other under the rear pumpkin. I just don't trust the lift 100 percent for some reason. I know its just me but the stands give me peace of mind and comfort to work under the car. When I finally evict the '56 and put the '64 on it, I'll report back.

Here's pictures of a lift bar I built to use with my 2 post lift and '61 Impala. Note that the picture with the car on the lift was done with the drive shaft out of the car. I added the notch to accommodate the drive shaft later.

liftbar02.jpg
rearbrakes01.jpg
[/IMG]
liftbar01.jpg
liftbar02.jpg
[/IMG]
rearbrakes01.jpg
liftbar01.jpg
[/IMG]

de31168

Well Known Member
Perfect! That's exactly where I had that 4x4 block on mine. It was only temporary so I didn't bother trying to make one with a driveshaft notch, but that is a great piece!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Very creative. Nice job. If I can't get my lift arms to work, I'll be building one of these. Thank you for sharing.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Oops. Forget to ask. If its not too much trouble, can you tell me your rough measurements, including the cut out for the driveshaft. Thank you.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
WOW. That was so nice of you to take the time and do that. Thank you very much. I will be bldg. one if my lift arms don't reach, Carmine.