RARE NICHOLSON Z-11 PHOTOS

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
MOST ALL OF YOU KNOW the Nicholson traveled and race with the Jack Shaw Z-11 built Impala. As you also know, Russ C. has done an outstanding restoration of the Jack Shaw car. What some of you folks may not know, is that Russ is building an archive of original paperwork and images of the JS. Because of the very close relationship of Nicholson and the JS crew, Russ is also trying to acquire images of Nicholson's cars; in particular those of the Z-11. I have been fortunate to have come across some great 8x10 images of both cars. Some never believed to have been seen before. Some of these images have surely been used for publication, as crop marks and notations are in the margins of some of these pictures.

Russ will never ask........but I will........If any of you folks have images of either of these cars, and you have no use for them.....consider sending them to Russ. It would be so cool, to not only have the Jack Shaw car, but to also build a historical repository that is in one place. I have sent all my images to Russ to be the care taker. These will leave this week for Russ to put in the archive. ALSO CONSIDER ORIGINAL TROPHY'S, PAPERWORK, OR OTHER ITEMS RELATED TO NICHOLSON AND ANY OF THE JACK SHAW CREW!

REALLY COOL!!!!!

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

LOOKS LIKE HE IS SETTING THE VALVES!!!....... CHECK OUT THE OIL SPLASH PROTECTORS!

RussC

Well Known Member
The engine photos solve a mystery. Most of the cars prepped by Nicholson at one point or another had two coils. We've wondered what was used for a distributor. Looking closely at the photo it was a Spaulding Flame Thrower

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The engine photos solve a mystery. Most of the cars prepped by Nicholson at one point or another had two coils. We've wondered what was used for a distributor. Looking closely at the photo it was a Spaulding Flame Thrower
I ran a Spaulding Flamethrower on a small block in my 62 back in the 60's with 2 coils, funny thing I still have that distributor.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
MOST ALL OF YOU KNOW the Nicholson traveled and race with the Jack Shaw Z-11 built Impala. As you also know, Russ C. has done an outstanding restoration of the Jack Shaw car. What some of you folks may not know, is that Russ is building an archive of original paperwork and images of the JS. Because of the very close relationship of Nicholson and the JS crew, Russ is also trying to acquire images of Nicholson's cars; in particular those of the Z-11. I have been fortunate to have come across some great 8x10 images of both cars. Some never believed to have been seen before. Some of these images have surely been used for publication, as crop marks and notations are in the margins of some of these pictures.

Russ will never ask........but I will........If any of you folks have images of either of these cars, and you have no use for them.....consider sending them to Russ. It would be so cool, to not only have the Jack Shaw car, but to also build a historical repository that is in one place. I have sent all my images to Russ to be the care taker. These will leave this week for Russ to put in the archive. ALSO CONSIDER ORIGINAL TROPHY'S, PAPERWORK, OR OTHER ITEMS RELATED TO NICHOLSON AND ANY OF THE JACK SHAW CREW!

REALLY COOL!!!!!

View attachment 80328

View attachment 80329

View attachment 80330

LOOKS LIKE HE IS SETTING THE VALVES!!!....... CHECK OUT THE OIL SPLASH PROTECTORS!

I had a set of those oil splash protectors, not very good as I recall.

They would fly off then here comes the oil, there goes a rag to control the mess, run around to turn off the car, crawl under the car to look for the clip, put it back on, start the car, watch another one fly off, turn off the car, pull them all off, throw them away!!

1B21CEC8-1758-4BBB-9468-E28E2D60CD43.jpeg

D4AE1627-102A-4FFB-B75A-FA7270934114.jpeg

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

They would fly off then here comes the oil, there goes a rag to control the mess, run around to turn off the car, crawl under the car to look for the clip, put it back on, start the car, watch another one fly off, turn off the car, pull them all off, throw them away!!

View attachment 80354

View attachment 80355
LOL, :laugh3....you can't make that up....

wristpin

Well Known Member

View attachment 80354

View attachment 80355
Can you take a better pic of instructions please?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
On my way back from Florida last week I stopped for gas and a non healthy burger in Brunswick GA. Looking across from the stoplight is Nalley Chevrolet. Betcha no one in there would recall the fast and furious match race stuff that came out of there in the 60’s
Robert

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Above pic of Nicholson was taken at Stone Mountain GA drag strip. I had this pic I let Scott Cornwall use and never saw it again back in 1998. This was one of the last outings of this car before Don sold it in early’64.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Above pic of Nicholson was taken at Stone Mountain GA drag strip. I had this pic I let Scott Cornwall use and never saw it again back in 1998. This was one of the last outings of this car before Don sold it in early’64.

Probably one of the prospect buyers in the photo :D
Robert