rat rod?

9ermike

Supporting Member 1
I guess I'm showing my age or missed that in school but, what the h__l is a rat rod? I see that on e-bay and it looks like it means a junky car. :confused:

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It depends on who you are talking to. The purists pick a year and they can't use parts manufactured later than that year. On the other hand, most rat rods are a collection of old scrounged parts. It's a fun challenge and they are fun cars. We had an old lakes racer living around here and he built one. Remember the flathead with 3x2's with the fuel block that had the clear red or blue hoses running to the carbs? Stromberg 97's were the best. Anyone that built back then remembers those explodo cars fondly and they are a kick to drive.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
After spending so much time trying to do a nice job on the car I'm doing I've got a real urge to do a primered 55 Chevy with nothing but junkyard style parts. And mayby a few vintage speed parts. And a 409 of course! :D I guess it would be too new to be called a Rat Rod but I think I get where these Rat Rod guys are coming from. Mayby their popularity is a counter ballance to the high dollar, billet everything streetrods. I love to see the beautifully done cars but some of those Rat Rods can be pretty cool too.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The Traditional Hot Rod message board of choice is the H.A.M.B.. You'll find "rat rod" guys on there too since they seem to think that the old hot rods of the 60's and earlier ran around with rusty parts, no paint, etc.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I like the "ANTI-Billet" movement going on.
I can't stand Billet aluminum. I dislike most modern aftermarket dress up items.
The Moon Finned stuff is about my speed.
I still prefer a really stock super detailed engine bay the best!