Re-coloring Carbs

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Does anybody know what solution is used to dip carburetors in to restore them to their original color? I recall a old hot rod article about some heated zinc solution.....

Any help would be appreciated!

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I believe zinc dichromate comes to mind, for sure the dichromate. I believe it helps prevent the aluminum for oxidizing.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Electrical etch

Yep, dichromate electricaly etched at the factory. Eastman sells a spray that is very similar and is gas proof. Did you all know that Sears own Eastman?

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Really - I thought Eastman was privately owned.....guess the big guys are getting business by earning it or by buying it.

Thanks for the info. :cheers

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Eastwood product

The Eastwood product is called "Carb Renue". I just used it about 2 months ago to re-coat 3-2s on my 348. It worked great and looks good. :clap

W Head
59 El Camino 348 3-2s
59 Impala 409 2-4s

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
getting back to the original question does anyone know how to zinc them, the spray stuff eastwood offers is better than nothing but IMO it makes them look a little cheesy

somis62

Supporting Member 1
Plating Carbs

Try Caswell Plating. I used a kit from them on my carbs and they look new. A larger power supply is required for the bodies. If I can figure out how to shrink the pics I will post them.

Tim