Real or fake 63 409 Bel Air?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did a Biscayne have trim like that?
Looks familiar
Only the 64 Belair had trim in that area. Should be at the top of the quarter, door and fender or down level with the bumper. Not in the center where just the 64 Belair has its moldings. The Biscayne for 64' also had it down on the body line even with the rear bumper. 64 Super Sport has the moldings above that line by a couple inches. Literally only the 64' Belair had moldings on that body line for those two years.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is my 2 cents worth, Yes you could get a tach with a 327 and I think the numbers below the flags are correct for a 63 BelAir but not 100% sure. As far as the numbers and flags being at the front of the fender instead of behind the wheel that is correct for a BelAir. On the title in Missouri, 48hp was a 283, 51hp was a 327 and 59hp was a 409, I am 100% sure on the 59hp as I own a real 63 409 car and my title has 59hp on it. I have also owned numerous chevys with 327's through the years and they all had 51hp on the titles.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
While it would be great to prove one way or another. You will learn all of the fun jokes you can play on people look into your engine bay and pass judgement on you. I showed up to the drag strip with the wagon you see above not even able to move under its own power. Not only did the 348-409 group give me a thumbs up. Some of them dug into their trailers for parts and several stayed up late into the night to help me turn wrenches to get it ready to run down the track the next day. When you are a fan of W motors, you are family whether you car was ever born with a W motor in it. Don't get caught up in worrying about what anyone else says to bring the value of your car down because my cheap family wagon has me, my wife and two boys all smiling ear to ear. My kids literally can't go outside without asking to go see "dad's race car" (3 year old and 20 month old). If it is or isn't its pretty sweet to all of us here. Last time I checked the only people that really care about these motors/cars spend time on this web page. Not walking around putting down anyone's project. If I purchased a 24" cube of crushed metal that was a true 1963 Z11, I'd drag that cube everywhere I go and smile ear to ear when people put it down. Dig as far as you like but spend more time on getting her on the road and don't worry that much about all original.
:appl:yup