Real Yenko L88 427 aluminum block

wristpin

Well Known Member
Saw ad this morn in Lincoln craigslist for this block and other parts. Anyone interested in it im able to go see it and talk with you on phone. I do not know the seller.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many years ago I had two available for me to buy at a reasonable price. However my expert block repairer (machinist) said they were not repairable, needed new sleeves and a couple windows repaired and there was no way for the sleeves to hold properly

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Had my motor builder come to me to tell me the 383 he built for a guys Impala blew up in less than 3 weeks. I was shocked until I learned that it blew up at close to 8000rpm with a shot of nitros while drag racing at the local drag strip in one of these jacked up Donks. Apparently there is actually a racing series where donks with large rims and jacked up in the air race each other. The guy tried to play if off like he was jumping on the highway until my motor builder looked at the engine. (he has a long history of racing himself) He called the guy out and the real story came out. I would have told him to screw off but instead my motor builder is building him a bigger and stronger motor so the idiot can blow his drive train to hell. Donk's are dumb.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yenko used some aluminum blocks, In fact Yenko cast their own aluminum blocks with their logo on it. The one in question could have been built by Yenko around L88 specs. I haven't seen the one in this thread but the two I mentioned had the Yenko logo cast on them

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
ZL1 was the all aluminium 427, I am pretty sure the L88 and ZL1 were rated at the same HP, ZL1 save on weight.
I have the Hot Rod article somewhere comparing the ZL1 Corvette and Camaro with the L88 combo.
From memory the article said the rated HP by GM was something like 430 HP, the article claimed that these engines were closer to 600HP,

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many years ago I had two available for me to buy at a reasonable price. However my expert block repairer (machinist) said they were not repairable, needed new sleeves and a couple windows repaired and there was no way for the sleeves to hold properly

So here is a few questions I have wanted to ask for awhile. Besides the obvious to sell more when they wear, why are they building engine blocks that cannot be bored very much to not at all? Why don't they have thicker sleeves in the LS's? Why did Ford ( really doesn't matter ) just release the pushrod 445 inch gas motor that will not take much boring?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As far as the Yenko blocks I mentioned, they had windows and were wet blocks, after repairing the windows my expert alum block repairer said he could guaranty they would leak. The sleeves in the Yenko blocks were normally serviceable but not with the damage these had.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
modern "throw away" engineering means that you must go out and buy a new one at some point sooner than you would need to with the old stuff. How many small blocks are still out there on the road because they have been rebuilt 20 times over? my oldest small block is from the 50's and my youngest block is from 1970 and all have been rebuilt several times over the years. They save money on using less material as well so they get you coming and going.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I really wasn't seriously thinking of an LS for my car or another project, however I did think a little because so many people are LS crazy. I just cannot get past almost no boring. Yea I know you can re-sleeve them, but what the **** Why would I start out with an engine that almost anything could make me need a new block or sleeves :dunno Many years ago I could not understand why someone would bore an engine block out as far as they could, or Harley cylinders as far as they could for a few more cubic inches :dunno2 I watch so many do this. All I could think was you have no room. You will replace that SBC or those Harley cylinders the first time anything comes up, or worst, just general wear.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The LS is one of the first completely computer generated engine blocks. Before that it was slide rule and calculators. Now we leave the stresses and experience learned up to a computer to decide how thick to make every part of these engines and a car. The LS motor has 6 bolts per main cap now which is far superior to anything ever made previously. The ports are placed in a better configuration, timing cover can be removed without removing the oil pan.... People mostly love them because they are cheap and are simply better engineered over old school small/big blocks. Aftermarket has jumped up and given millions of options to anything you like to them including carburators if you want. Cheap, easy, powerful means popular. Wait until the electric conversions become bolt on options. Everyone will want one and at some point internal combustion engines for performance will fall to the way side including aftermarket support and the political power the industry currently has.