REAR 4 LINK BUSHINGS

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Getting ready to replace the worn out rubber bushings in the rear 4 link. Has the two rubber halves with a steel bushing that the bolt passes thru. Do I use any lube on any of it?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rubber half bushing , 2 per joint. I would think maybe some lube on the outer flat that rubs the mounting bracket??

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got all the bushings replaced. What a difference. All but one rod had no rubber bushing left what so ever. Before the car would do weird things, hit the brakes and the nose might take a dive to one side etc. I guess the rear end housing was moving around randomly.
One thing that is very noticeable to me now is the truck sure does lift up the left side on hard acceleration. Do 4 links lift better then leafs or coil type suspension?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my 59 el camino has terrible wheel hop, ever deal with that...as soon as I hit 3000 rpm it just jumps up and down...

blkss64

Well Known Member
I have added the 4 link to a friends 64 Impala. It has a 327-350 horsepower engine and an M 20 4 spd. Adding the fourth link and a rear sway bar from Helwig has eliminated 90% of the wheel hop. I don’t want to promote one companies product over another’s but the Helwig bar is made to fit between the sides of the lower control arms duplicating what GM did with the A body cars. No extra brackets and hardware hanging down. These modifications really helped. Now with a W motor, might not be enough. I used repop brackets and a used stock arm with new bushings. Using adjustable aftermarket parts would probably be better.

409Inmyblood

I’ve completed restorations on many of these cars over the years and one of the best things you can do to make these cars drive well and retain a “stock-ish” appearance is to replace all the rubber bushings front and rear. I use high quality stock replacements for a restoration, and upgrade to urethane for performance or the resto-mod look. I don’t like poly, they can squeak and can make for a “hard” ride but use a good quality lubricant and check with the poly manufacturer to make sure the lubricant will not deteriorate the bushings. Adding a front sway bar and/or replacing the small stock one also makes a huge difference and a rear one makes it even better. For the money and time invested it pays huge dividends. I usually add new springs also and quality shocks goes without saying. These cars are old and heavy and need some love to improve that driving experience.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I’ve completed restorations on many of these cars over the years and one of the best things you can do to make these cars drive well and retain a “stock-ish” appearance is to replace all the rubber bushings front and rear. I use high quality stock replacements for a restoration, and upgrade to urethane for performance or the resto-mod look. I don’t like poly, they can squeak and can make for a “hard” ride but use a good quality lubricant and check with the poly manufacturer to make sure the lubricant will not deteriorate the bushings. Adding a front sway bar and/or replacing the small stock one also makes a huge difference and a rear one makes it even better. For the money and time invested it pays huge dividends. I usually add new springs also and quality shocks goes without saying. These cars are old and heavy and need some love to improve that driving experience.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
do any of you guys have a front sway bar reccomendation for a 59 el camilo that is bolt on...I've got the back one but what I see online varies from one mfg. to another...some have plenty of hardware and some don't...I'd like to purchase one that fits, not a universal one...