Rear axle seal question

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
The attached photos show the rear axle bearing assembly from my '63 Biscayne. Aside from the two o-rings surrounding the bearing and the retaining plate gasket, is there another oil seal to replace?
Dan Fults

Attachments

• rear_axle_1.JPG
    rear_axle_1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 77
  • rear_axle_2.JPG
    rear_axle_2.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 58

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From the looks of that bearing in the first picture Dan,I'd say no.Look in the axel housing,in the area of the bearing retainer and see if theres a seal there.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are two seals,1) the O rings and 2) the seal that is installed in the bearing itself. The bearing oil seal is that black seal with the spring around it as can be seen in the 1st picture. The only other thing is the flange gasket but that does not seal oil.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Dan: The original bearings have an oil seal incorporated into the bearing on the outer side of it. I cant tell by the picture, but it looks like your bearing may have the seal in it. I have an NOS seal kit and it has the seal-2 O-rings and the bearing retainer. Some newer bearings are the sealed type. If your bearing is open on one side the seal needs to be installed with the spring side into the bearing first and the bearing installed with the seal on the wheel side. If you have the sealed type which is self lubricated the oil seal needs to be installed with the spring side exposed and the bearing installed with the seal away from the wheel end of the axle.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
His bearing is installed correctly. There is only one type of bearing for this application in production today. It has a dirt seal, which goes to the outside and a oil seal which you can tell by that spring, it is installed towards the pumpkin (oil flow). The only open on one side bearing is a 1957 bearing and has one O ring.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks Mike for clarifying that.
I know the 5-6-and 7s were open with the seal on the wheel side of the axle, but what lubricates the bearing with the seal on the inner side if
it isn't pre-lubricated?
Ken

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only production "open" bearing is the 1957, the 55/56 is closed on both sides as is the 58-64. I believe there were early, as in many years ago 55/56 open bearings but they are no longer produced that way.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Where the 2 o ring's ride in the housing , make sure tube inside is smooth and clean. If not use scotch brite pad or similar to clean no rust or pit's and also apply grease on that area and o ring's so as not to tear them when sliding axle in.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I forgot about the o rings..............it's only been 48 years since I had the bearing go out of my "63" Impala convert. Damn chrome reverse wheels....................:dunno