rear body mount braces

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is it fairly common for '58-'64 Chev's to rust out in the rear body mount brace area? Here in Seattle, we never used road salt though deal with a lot of moisture from many rainy days. My '63 SS is rusted only that area though quarters trunk are clean. Go figure, thanks.
PS not a pic of my '63 just an example
IMG_2331.jpg .

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a hole in the top of the box brace it fills up with dirt. Then water runs down the fuel fill tube and drips into the dirt filled box brace. The drivers side is always the worst side.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 62 4 door parts car has mint front fenders, hood, trunk lid, rockers inside and out, rear quarters only have pin holes. My buddy's 73,000 miles all original 62 Impala, not one rust hole in that car. Both cars have rotted box braces.

Phil has some nice after market ones.

Don

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You guys weren't kidding about the rust issue with rear box braces. I bought a stock SS black interior from a guy here in Seattle. In his garage he has a pristine 37,000 mile '62 Impala 327 sedan his aunt bought in 1964 and handed it to him in 1990 before she passed. Always maintained and kept spotless. First thing I checked were the box braces, both rusted out, the gas tank side gone, the other side pin holes coming through, he was shocked when I showed him this. The rest of car from floors trunk to fenders and quarters are spotless as is the original paint. We don't use salt our deicer for ice in Seattle do to mild winters, just sand. If these box braces rusted do to water here in the pacific NW I can't imagine places like Chicago, Michigan and back east :(

Last edited:

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Out with the old and in with the new finally all in place and welded back in. Sometimes its a shame that all the work that goes in back here will really never be seen once its painted and covered with the rubber mat.

Attachments

• 58 Impala Old Rotten Trunk Floor.JPG
    58 Impala Old Rotten Trunk Floor.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 2(3).JPG
    photo 2(3).JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 71
  • photo 1(2).JPG
    photo 1(2).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 2(2).JPG
    photo 2(2).JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 4(1).JPG
    photo 4(1).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 69

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another stupid question (don't seem to have a shortage of them). Are the rear box brace covers necessary? To me all they do is trap moisture,dirt etc to start the rust process all over again on the braces. Are they for support of the braces?

IMG2726-X3.jpg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Z-11guy, we just went through the same project, sure glad that is done. I live in Shoreline Wa. Drop me a note , would love to see your car.:pop
:brow

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool! I live in Ballard, do you perhaps know Paul with his '62 Honduras maroon bubble top and '63 convert?

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I did see a Maroon car at the Green Wood CAr show and talked the fellow, I thought it was kind of weird that he had red interior in that car.
He was a big fellow, I think he said he had a car shop up north somewhere. I use to drive a Rainier Beer truck and our shop was in Ballard, on 14th near
Leary way. Ballard is a cool place, but sorry to see Zesto's go down. My number is 206-542-1279, Stan. Call if you like, be nice to talk to some
one who has a car in those years.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That was my buddy Paul, try to call you tomorrow evening if the lady give's me some free time lol. There are few of us X-frame guys here and of course '65-70 big chevy guys too.