Rear end upgrade options

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Can you take a 28 spline carrier from a 1965-1970 8.2" 10 bolt and use it in a 1958-1963 8.2" 10 bolt rear third member?

Just looking for ways to beef up the old rear end and keep it looking stock and if this would actually work with some custom axles that would be a big increase in strength I would think. What other methods exist for strengthening these rear ends so you can put an engine capable of 500 to 600 Ft lbs of torque to them and not have to be overly worried about things coming apart?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The trick is to use Dana(44?) side gears. Aubrey used to have a kit, other have used them also and I believe tghey have a 30 spline count. That does beef up the axle from the 17 spline but you still have a 17 spline pinion gear.

Early Vettes used a similar 17 spline posi and 17 spline pinion. Tom's Differentials has a kit for the Vettes to upgrade them. I recently tried to contact Tom about using that kit and found he has recently passed away. His daughter answered and said they are still selling parts but they have no tech knowledge like Tom did.

That being said by the time you by spiders, axles and labor-you probably could have bought a 9" that looks fairly similar once under the car.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
New Eaton POSI and Moser 17 spline racing axles will help. Eaton is one piece, chrome molly spiders, carbon fiber clutches. Moser makes a 17 spline you won't twist. Better get a rear frame to crossmember brace. All this within reason.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to your question about putting the 65-later parts into a 55-64 carrier,that answer is no.I wouldn't put 550-600 ft.lbs.to that eariler carrier even with all the upgrades.It will not take it for long.With that much torque,a 12 bolt.or a 9 inch is the only safe way to go.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
my vette has tom's stuff inside. what is the difference between two and five cut gears. jim

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Tom made some bad a$$ Vette pumpkin stuff. Swap for a 12 bolt , larger spline stub shafts and half shafts.

Love to find a C2 coupe myself as a roller. And use some of the stuff.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I’m thinking if I just get an aftermarket posi and some moser axles and keep a normal radial tire on it I should be good for up to a 600 hp motor. This car isn’t going to see a drag strip as I will not put seatbelts in it. At most it will see a little exhibition of speed.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The 30 spline spiders and new axles would be a bunch stronger than the stock 17 and the axles are probably about the same cost.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So.....I always was wondering about that later 8.2 fitting in the drop out carrier also. If one was just to use it for a daily driver would the newer 8.2 actually fit in the housing or not?

Gus68

Well Known Member
I had a worn out 350 and a Saginaw 4 speed and stock open rear end in my 62. With worn out radials and some "spirited" driving, I broke the caps in the rear. Swapped in another used center section and broke the spider gears. Welded up the spiders and then broke the caps again. This was with MAYBE 300 horse. Then spent the winter on a 9 inch swap. Stock Ford center. Never broke since.