Rear End Upgrade

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This spring I was planning to do some work to the rear chassis and suspension. The plan was to add a left upper control arm, upgrade the axles, put a adjustable panhard, then add a slip yoke and Inland Empire center bearing.. Well, the first time I got it out this year, I hammered on it pretty good, heard a couple pop and bangs come from the rear, then it just howled like crazy, but still rolled.. I took it apart and found a bunch of teeth from the pinion in the bottom of the housing. So then. I went a little crazy, ordered two new upper arms, lower arms and panhard from Global West, then the axles from Show Cars, then had the driveshaft done locally... Finally got it all back together yesterday and have put about 100 miles on it so far, and boy, what a difference! This thing goes down the road sooooo good with all that new stuff in the back. Here are a few pictures of some of the stuff I did....
Rick
D8E0F7F2-AFD3-4C45-864D-E3A3F54DD3B1.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh, I almost forgot.. Since I spent all my money on the suspension parts ant the axles and driveshaft, since I tore out my 3:70, tho only other posi I had was a 4:56... So I took it all apart, cleaned and painted it and put it back together with all the original parts.. Fingers crossed, so far nice and quiet back there and I've been pretty hard on it.. Man is it fun to drive now!!!!:burnout
43DEAAF5-0A1B-4244-A478-7DA77F085503.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know you're having fun with those new parts and steep gears! Start saving now for a stronger rearend for down the road. That 4.56 might last for years, but still best to plan ahead maybe.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the compliments guys... It's been really fun. Once I get some more money together, I'd like to get some vintage looking cheater slicks... Anyone have any suggestions?? :dunno2 Jason.. As for breaking parts, I'm hoping these upgrades will live behind this motor... I don't plan on doing anything else to the engine, I've already spent enough money there!!:crazy

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"You'll definitely be needing tires soon. If you go with the cheater slicks don't get caught out in the rain with them. Happened to me one time with my slicks on the street it was worse than driving on black ice."

Yep I ran Goodyear cheaters on the street in the 70s and our asphalt road near the house I had to go 20 mph to get there safe. Sure hooked good though:) Those BBC Camaros and Chevelles never new what hit them when those and the 4.56 jumped them out of the hole and the light aluminum flywheel buzzed it up fast on the top end! Most guys hot forgotten about 409s and we pulled off the fender badges and said "it's a 348 trick motor" if they did look under the hood:)

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a white 63 impala in my area growing up in the early 80s that had a race-built 409 with a tunnel ram, big holley carbs, slicks and probably 4.88s in it. The interior was totally gutted minus an aluminum bucket seat but BOY was that car fast! I saw it race a badass 69 camaro on the street and watching those cars skate around my eyes were as big as softballs! Such a cool car. Miss seeing that stuff! I remember it like it was yesterday!:burnout:burnout

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There was a white 63 impala in my area growing up in the early 80s that had a race-built 409 with a tunnel ram, big holley carbs, slicks and probably 4.88s in it. The interior was totally gutted minus an aluminum bucket seat but BOY was that car fast! I saw it race a badass 69 camaro on the street and watching those cars skate around my eyes were as big as softballs! Such a cool car. Miss seeing that stuff! I remember it like it was yesterday!:burnout:burnout
I like those tires Jason.. I've been looking at those. I can't find them in 14's, just 15's..:dunno

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awesome!! Thanks for the link! I was just on their site, I don't know how I missed em':facepalm

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They look sure look wider than 7" tread on your car... Think I'll save some pennies and dimes for those...

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like those. We had a pair of originals once but sold them at the swap meet. They were only good for display because of age.