Rear End Upgrade

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sorry Rick. Your "little" engine must not be so "little". Back in the day with my 4000 lb '60, and my M&H's at 12 and 16 lbs, I launched at 5000 rpm on every pass for 3 seasons and never lost a rear gear. You sure about that engine?????????????? I'm sure that you will get it squared away.

Lonnie

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes I deserve this... I'm expecting to get a little ribbing...:poke

I came out at about 2500 RPM, tires had about 25 psi in em...

Steve, these are the street axles...

I was wondering as i was going to buy the race axles from Moser but those ones of your look quite soft or you have a massive amount of torque :bow

Im building a very similar engine apart from the heads so am very interested in your learning process:D

Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
After seeing this,no Moser axels for me.They were at one time ,warrented against that kind of failure,I'd check.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What other axle manufacturers build them with the 17 spline end on them for our original differentials?

I wonder if the Moser race axles are stronger and how much stronger they actually are

Steve

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rick,
Send me a PM with your phone number and I can share with you what I went through with my "upgrade" when I bought the rear end from MHRP.

Kevin Quik9r

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could the axle twist have caused the cap damage- which came first, the chicken or the egg? I'm not knowledgeable at all in this sort of issue, just looking for more education.

Maybe something wasn't meshing well and caused this (premature?) failure, something worn or weak?
Don

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry Rick. Your "little" engine must not be so "little". Back in the day with my 4000 lb '60, and my M&H's at 12 and 16 lbs, I launched at 5000 rpm on every pass for 3 seasons and never lost a rear gear. You sure about that engine?????????????? I'm sure that you will get it squared away.

Lonnie
Thanks for the encouragement Lonnie!!! I know I'll get it squared away... Just got to do a little figuring...
I was wondering as i was going to buy the race axles from Moser but those ones of your look quite soft or you have a massive amount of torque :bow

Im building a very similar engine apart from the heads so am very interested in your learning process:D

Steve
After seeing this,no Moser axels for me.They were at one time ,warrented against that kind of failure,I'd check.
Steve and Don... I really believe the axles got twisted when the bearing cap broke... But then again, I don't have very much experience with this...
Rick,
Send me a PM with your phone number and I can share with you what I went through with my "upgrade" when I bought the rear end from MHRP.

Kevin Quik9r
Kevin... Are you talking about your '62?? I can't remember.. Did you put a 9" in that?

I'm just still surprised that what I had wouldn't hold up to what I think will be a 13 second car if I can get it down the track... :doh

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Moser use to make two axles for the 59-64. One just hardened, the other all different material. 1/2" wheel studs on the race axle. Bearing cap is needed on the left only. With a lot off traction, the axle tubes probably pulled forward and moved the pinion on the ring gear. Axle brace is the only fix for that.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What other axle manufacturers build them with the 17 spline end on them for our original differentials?
Steve
I got mine from Dutchmans in Portland. I have not had a problem, but mine only gets in the 13's with a ittle tailwind.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ I have Dutchman axles in mine as well. Pulled one over the winter and they look like new yet. Plenty of really hard launches on the street and 1-2 shifts with traction

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
A few years ago, a member here was having some cap girdles made. They had 2 set screw that pushed on the original cap. I should have gotten a pair then, but didn't. Now I can't remember the members name.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It wasn't Aubrey's caps I was referring to, but like I said, can't remember the name.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Easy to make your own with a thick strip of steel some spacers and a set screw in the middle. Left side ony. The right side pushes in. 20 ft lb on the set screw on the center of the cap.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You guys are both running original rear ends with 17 spline side gears??

Do the axles come with bearings etc all ready drop in?

Steve
Mine rear is original with 17 spline side gears, 4:11. I got bearings with the axles from Dutchmans, but not installed. They did not have the retainers which need to go on first. Bolt pattern was optional, mine are 5 on 4 3/4. Also bolt size and length, 7/16 or 1/2. Mine are 7/16.