Rear End Upgrade

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
and a couple other potential problems
as you align hone / bore , threads get machined off a bit
depending on how much is removed , the alignment or "toe" of the rear wheels would be effected
and , you'd be moving the differential ( ring gear ) deeper towards the pinion , possibly making correct tooth contact impossible
yep......plenty of reasons that wouldn't work. Still....it seems I have seen billet caps for 9" centers that could me machined to fit and I thought that this would be the way they did it? Probably just remembering WRONG.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
it's looking like you must have paid off a couple of them old bills ............. and maybe got some new ones............. must be doing something right...........:brow:clap:clap:clap:clap
I figured summer here is too short to wait til I paid some stuff off.. Decided just to raise some limits on the old credit card and pay it off later...
I have John's in both my race cars, now get to work so you make Mason Dixon
Got the housing all painted yesterday.. Should be in today as long as I don't get called in to work:alarmed

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't let work interfere with your fun Rick! :no

Lonnie
Geez Lonnie... That's the exact opposite my parents taught me growing up..:doh

Well, Sunday we got it put in, Everything went together real well. Had to do some adjusting last night with getting it centered, pinion angle and brakes. I still don't have the parking brakes figured out..:rub I didn't get any pictures of it in the car because of the beautiful weather here in Ohio, but I did snap these before I put it together.. I'm pretty sure this one won't break!!:doh
FEAAAE36-EC9B-47FC-9466-D1C9E716AE74.jpg

95DE69B2-B4EA-46C7-A1D9-2CF7FF8D456B.jpg

0EDC16FC-ADCD-435D-A3EF-B24FBC15BDEB.jpg

If anyone is thinking about a 9" for these cars, I highly recommend John's. It was a painless install and they shipped it out fast. I ordered it last Monday and it was here on Friday.. Now if it would just stop raining so I can break this thing in and try out these slicks again!!:metal
Rick

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't let work interfere with your fun Rick! :no

Lonnie

Well, Sunday we got it put in, Everything went together real well. Had to do some adjusting last night with getting it centered, pinion angle and brakes. I still don't have the parking brakes figured out..:rub I didn't get any pictures of it in the car because of the beautiful weather here in Ohio, but I did snap these before I put it together.. I'm pretty sure this one won't break!!:doh

If anyone is thinking about a 9" for these cars, I highly recommend John's. It was a painless install and they shipped it out fast. I ordered it last Monday and it was here on Friday.. Now if it would just stop raining so I can break this thing in and try out these slicks again!!:metal
Rick

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Rick
what spline 31 or 35 and what gear ratio? looks like we should see you next week :think

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I finally got to get it out on dry pavement last night after dealing with being stranded on my Ducati with a flat tire.:(... I'm really happy with how it's hooking on the street, it leaves about 20 feet of rubber then takes off nice and straight, I think it's gonna hook pretty good at the track..
what spline 31 or 35 and what gear ratio? looks like we should see you next week :think
Brian, I got 31 spline axles and 4:11 gears.. I'm trying to get a trailer lined up for next weekend.. I'd really like to come, but I'm not gonna drive it that far..:pray