Rear End

3wdeals

I posted this previously in engines so I deleted and am posting here.

My first time rebuilding/restoring a car and have been reading a lot and emailing people all over the country. Most have been real nice and helpful.

I have a 1962 Biscayne that originally had a 6 cyl, if I want to put in a 1960 stroked 348 can the stock rear end handle it?

It is a 3:36 non-posi and what about any suspension/frame issue that may need addressing?

I got a 1968 327 I was going to put in it and then found the 1960 348 decided on 348 to make like 409 clone type car, I bought the car with no interior other than back seats, '62 buckets seats and a 1972 350 with Powerglide runs OK untill I take it out

Any help on rear end question is apprecaited

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you stay with the automatic it should stay together.

With a four speed and a good clutch the axle shaft can twist off at the splines and I have broken diff. bearing caps.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
3wdeals-

The rear ends are the same for all of these cars. If you plan on hard shifts, I would reccomend the diiferential bearing cap girdle set from Show-Cars (Dr. 409).

Norm

Well Known Member
If you should decide to replace the rear end, I have a pumpkin for sale. Has very few miles on it. It is a posi with 4:56 gears. If interested e-mail me at: normwei5@yahoo.com