rear lower shock absorber bolt

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I am in the process of replacing all the rear suspension bushings. My question is, what is the most practical way to remove the 55 year old rear lower shock absorber bolt, any and all ideas will be tried, within reason. I don't want to destroy the bolts, but, I do have a spare set.

montemike79

Well Known Member
They are actually splined. There is a special tool if you have the shop manual you will see what it looks like, bolts on and threads on the end of a slide hammer and you pull them out that way. Reverse the process for installation. I found the attachment on ebay and what a difference it made.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
They are actually splined. There is a special tool if you have the shop manual you will see what it looks like, bolts on and threads on the end of a slide hammer and you pull them out that way. Reverse the process for installation. I found the attachment on ebay and what a difference it made.

Can you post a picture of the tool, I can't find it in my 61 or 63 shop manual.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
thanks Mike, if I can't get it made mon or Tues. I'm going to sawzall the thing out of there. I do have a spare pair that are like new, I have no idea where they came from.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Got them both out. took James advice and used a BFH. Hit them where the shock attaches. bunged up the threads but I can chase them. Now the big question is which one is which, passenger or driver side?

Attachments

• 20181210_110606.jpg
    20181210_110606.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20181210_110524.jpg
    20181210_110524.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 21

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Got them both out. took James advice and used a BFH. Hit them where the shock attaches. bunged up the threads but I can chase them. Now the big question is which one is which, passenger or driver side?
If you notice the flat area in threads, they match the bracket notch they go in . Hold one to the arm as it was when installed and see if k.ey way matches on other side . Those are shaped like a D. I had same problem on mine could not get in and found I had the wrong side started.