rear main seal

garey

hey guys merry xmas,just wondering when installing rear main do you stagger them or mount them flush,had my engine rebuilt and had to pull it out thought i,d check the seal it is staggered one side is seated down low the other side sits a bit taller

427John

Well Known Member
I've had the best luck by staggering the ends and smearing a thin layer of right stuff on the clean dry ends of both halves.This method makes the sealer engage the rubber of the seal and leaves the unset sealer to engage with each other when pushed together.Staggering limits the area for the sealer to migrate,I use this method with all gaskets and seals with very good results just make sure to have plenty of rags to manage the mess.Make sure to use just enough white grease on the seal area of the crank to lubricate it on startup,an almost invisible layer is enough.While rtv sealers are supposed to be impervious to oils and greases when set it will interfere with bonding to surfaces while setting.If you've ever pulled apart an engine that's been apart before that has beads of rtv that you can just pull off and leave a clean surface that is an example of an oil contaminated surface that the rtv didn't bond to and was an area that was leaking oil.