Rear seat belt mount holes for 61........

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So, I'm working on my interior and I don't see a factory provision for rear seat belts.
Was rear lap belts an option in 1961 ?

Is it a legal issue not having rear seat belts in our cars now days ?

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know the law for your state, however it use to be the car was only required to have its original equipment from the manufacturer. So if it sold without them, you would not need them. Again, maybe something changed, or your state has a law.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In my state you're required to use a seat belt for all passangers.I've seen no exclusion for antique vehicles.As Jeff said,check the laws that apply in your state.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Montana has annual registrations. Vehicles older than 10 years can get a "permanent plate" for a one time fee of approx 2 1/2 times the annual fee. This does not apply to trucks heavier than 1 ton. There are also antique and vintage plates.
There are no vehicle inspections except for commercial vehicles.
No seat belts required on our x frame cars. Below is a quote from Montana law. They use the federal law for seat belt requirements.

Vehicles Manufactured Before 1968 – Motor vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1968, were not required by federal motor vehicle standards to have seatbelts. Drivers and passengers in these vehicles are not required to have or install seatbelts.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It always freaks me out when I hear people in other states speak of semi annual inspections on their cars. I know it is just where you grow up, but that sounds like some kind of commie liberal gestapo, money grabbing tax hidden in the name of road safety. :wtf:wtf:wtf:wtfThat kinds stuff makes California look conservative.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If have read it correctly, Alabama Vehicle code title 32 states that the seat belt requirements shall not apply to vehicles made prior to the 1965 model year. And so far, the states I have looked at all seem to fall under the same general rule that if the car was not manufactured with them, they are not required.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My 60 Impala had no belts. I'm pretty sure that there were provisions made for the installation as there were holes with rubber plugs in them for mounting. I installed belts 20 years ago. Just recently I have been interested in installing a four point harness with over the shoulder belts, lap belt and ASM features. The four point harness bolts to the rear floor pan much the same way the stock lap belt does. I'll feel much safer with this restraint system. I had a close call last year that has helped me quit procrastinating. The lap belt alone has been shown to cause abdominal injuries and in some instances you can actually slide under and right out of the belt. Not eating the steering wheel and the ASM feature seems like a no brainer.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Your shoulder belts need to mount at shoulder level or just a bet below. If the mount is lower, on impact forward motion will want to crush your shoulders.
I did get away with mounting the shoulder straps to the rear seat belt mounting point when I drove out to the Salt Flats for my attempt at a USFRA club membership.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Your shoulder belts need to mount at shoulder level or just a bet below. If the mount is lower, on impact forward motion will want to crush your shoulders.
I did get away with mounting the shoulder straps to the rear seat belt mounting point when I drove out to the Salt Flats for my attempt at a USFRA club membership.
I'll take that chance, better than just a lap belt.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So, I'm working on my interior and I don't see a factory provision for rear seat belts.
Was rear lap belts an option in 1961 ?

Is it a legal issue not having rear seat belts in our cars now days ?

To my knowledge your 61 has dimples in the factory floor pan for were to drill the seat belts (for 2 or 3 belts) My 62's all have the dimples -shown in the assembly manual but no measurements -hence the dimples. The dimples are into the inside of the car -visible from the under car floor pan

Pictures of rear seat belts I installed in a 1961 Impala 2 door Hardtop -so my friends son in law could have his children can ride in the back seat
As I recall I drilled 4 of the 6 dimpled holes for the 2 sets of belts.

Paul
P1010245_tn.jpgP1010246_tn.jpgP1010247_tn.jpg

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you, Paul, for the info & images.
I didn’t think to look in my assembly manual.
I’m guessing show cars has the correct seat belts.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The reproduction red ones in the 61 Chevy came from Snake Oyl in Texas -the company that restores the 62/63 belts that have the logos in the buckles. I use restored originals in my 62's that I have been able to find over the years.

The red 61 has ones like these 60 inch long for the back seat (you can use 74 inch also) -nice quality for the price +++ they match your color of your car -see the link below to pick a color....-I don't see others doing this color matching....they have 2 or 3 colors for most options..

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merch...yl&Product_Code=1800-60&Category_Code=2PNRLSB

Paul