Rear shock tower brace for x-frame

ssleeper

Wow..earlier this week I was wondering why something like this isn't on the market. Global West has a brace like this in their rear coil-over conversion kit which got me thinking about it. Certainly can't hurt tying the shock mounts together.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That second upper control are looks like it will jack the rear out of shape. This must be for the show crowd or the low riders. Wonder what he's done about the bottom mount where the shock will break the head off with some load levelers.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yea I was curious as to the problem it was addressing. I ended up with a deal I couldn't pass up on a Moser Ford 9" package for my 61 and don't have the 2nd upper arm yet. I figure I'm just changing what will break next....

I won't have time to do the install for a month or so. I am excited though! :dance3

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I see no reason to do anything to the shock brace.I have not had any problems with the stock bracket. so not sure what you would want ?

bobs409

Administrator
As a stupid kid, I put air shocks and extensions on mine and promptly broke the upper mount. This was just driving around my yard! The extension is sure what killed it but even without it, air shocks put all the road shock and a lot of the cars weight right on those mounts which were not designed for that. Air shocks should be banned!!! In all fairness, those mounts should have been made better too.

The prosecution rests... :D

bobs409

Administrator
Had the green mildew here too on the shady sides. I should mention I used a brush too with the 409.