Rear slip yoke?

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Reading a parts catalog I noticed that they sell a center drive shaft support that is much improved over the stock unit. They suggest using a rear slip yoke? Has anyone done this? What is it?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It is a improved center carrier bearing that is not encased with rubber ,but a solid nylon or similiar. So the driveshaft will not move or flex in that area so a slip yoke is recommended at the differential so the carrier bearing is not forced as suspension travel"s up and down. A inland empire shaft has this slip yoke and you can just get the rear shaft if you want. Many member's have this .As of yet I don't have one ,but other's can tell you more if you need more info.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I googled the driveshaft and I noticed a few driveshaft vendors make the rear section of the driveshaft with a slip yoke. The front section remains the original. Approx 250-300, also they suggest the heavy duty center bearing. I also think replacing the front section universals would be a good idea. Looks like about a 500 total, looks to be money well spent.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I had one of those HD Center Supports and I also read that you needed a Rear Slip Yoke with it.

I'm not planning on doing any heavy racing or anything like that and I sold mine to a friend for $25.

I believe they are over $100 brand new.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It takes more effort to compress the rear slip shaft than to move the center bearing rubber housing. Change to the polly center bearing or you can inject RTV silicone into the hollow of the soft rubber and let it cure to stiffen it up. The current batch of center bearing housings have a weak spot weld on the foot and should be re-welded when you go to the slip joint shaft. SKF brand from NAPA would be the exception of the weld. I don't see any point to the slip shaft if you leave the stock center support in. They both do the same thing, and you still have the weak center.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use a 3 piece with a slip in the back half with the large u-joints end to end and the poly center carrier. Balanced a few times with some yoke changes, I have that done at a truck shop that can handle it as an assembly, abused the crap out of it with some 6900+ launches off the line lock and never an issue. Built by a guy in AZ his name is in the forums somewhere. Old guy loves to talk and build some excellent stuff there.