Rear springs for racing

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have my front sorted out, but would like some input for rear springs. Stock suspension, two adjustable uppers, and Metco lowers. All in stock location. Some info on rear shocks would be helpful as well. This is on my 62.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not sure if you'd want to go to the extent, but there are pictures of my coil-over conversion on here somewhere. Besides welding the adjustable mount brackets to the housing, the rest is a bolt in deal using a custom crossmember I designed. I have a couple extra crossmembers if you're interested in going that way.

Otherwise if you are wanting stuff that bolts on just like stock I'd talk to Gerry G., Aubrey, Brian, and others who are cutting some really good 60' times. Dan's cutting some good times also, but most everything stock is gone from his rear suspension.

There are others on here who cut great short times too, but I don't see them posting much.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Yes,looking for a drop in spring. I have seen your set up and it does look good.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Brian. I'm hoping it works well too. LOL I would have stuck with bolt in shocks and springs if I hadn't have already had the coil-overs sitting here. I also did it because I'm hoping to squeeze some 3.5" exhaust pipes through the space formerly occupied by the rear springs. :cool:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The lightest spring you can get away with. Probably something around #150. If you go with the stock location, you would need a heavier spring because with the lever ratio it behavelike a much lighter spring. +1 for coil overs. I like the adjustability they offer. For shocks I say Afco. I can not overstate how much a good shock can do. Just don't get them from a mail order joint. Most shock guys will build them valved for your application for the same or little more than a shock off the shelf. Strange would be my second choice for shocks. QA1 would be my last choice way way down the list.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
150# is exactly what I run on mine. I'd forgotten about the stronger springs being needed in the stock location due to the way the sit.

Hey Dan.....your presence is requested in the anti-squat thread. :deal:laugh

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You want us to do all the work? Holy balls. What is the distance from the front pivot to the center of the spring perch? What is the average distance between the upper perch and lower at the ride height you want? What is the inner diameter of the current spring?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Easy Dan, If I wanted you to do all the work, I would have dropped it off at your shop. :dunno I just thought somebody had a set up that worked and would be willing to share. After all, these aren't new cars. Hell, I wasn't even born when they came out. I am sure I can take some measurements, but since I have no experience with this, it would do me no good. Just looking for a tried and true set up that's all.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Easy Dan, If I wanted you to do all the work, I would have dropped it off at your shop. :dunno I just thought somebody had a set up that worked and would be willing to share. After all, these aren't new cars. Hell, I wasn't even born when they came out. I am sure I can take some measurements, but since I have no experience with this, it would do me no good. Just looking for a tried and true set up that's all.
Just give me the measurements I asked for and I will figure what rate and free length you need. After that, finding a spring is easy. I was being sarcastic. It really isn't a big deal and I don't mind
at all.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Ok, thanks, I just did not want to be a pest. I really do appreciate the help. Will try to get the measurements either today or tomorrow. If it stops raining, I will bring my car to the shop so I can start to fab the exhaust. Working on a hoist is much easier than rolling around on my back.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The distance of the front lower control arm bolt to the center of the spring perch is 15 inches. The distance from the upper to lower perches measured on the centerline of the spring is 11.5 inches. The inner diameter of the spring is 3.75 inches. This seems like one of those story problems from school that seemingly cannot be answered with the included info. :pop

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are right. I made a mistake. I don't need the lower control arm length. What I need is the instant center length and the distance between the REAR lower control arm bolt and the center of the spring. The other missing info is the weight which should be about 1850 - the unsprung weight which I can approximate. I believe you have a 9" under it?

I know I'm being a pain but it is needed because I would like to see you have an effective rate of 150# while maintaining your ride height. Unfortunately you can't just open a catalog and get this info. I had run a 175# pound in mine and it is a little too stiff and am changing to 150# also. Are we having fun yet?? :crazy

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This seems like one of those story problems from school that seemingly cannot be answered with the included info. :pop
I know what you mean....hate when my kids come to me with those and I'm almost as confused as they are.

Are we having fun yet?? :crazy

I know I am Dan. It's always fun to follow threads like this one, the anti-squat one, Brian's alignment for drag racing thread, etc.
I wish I could say I "soak it up like a sponge" but that would be a lie. I do try to remember as much as I can and then come back to read what I've forgotten later.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know what you mean....hate when my kids come to me with those and I'm almost as confused as they are.

I know I am Dan. It's always fun to follow threads like this one, the anti-squat one, Brian's alignment for drag racing thread, etc.
I wish I could say I "soak it up like a sponge" but that would be a lie. I do try to remember as much as I can and then come back to read what I've forgotten later.

Reminds me of a statistics test I took yesterday. The answers were A. :blah:blah B. :blah:blah:blah C. Both A and B or D. Not enough information to answer. Needless to say I failed it :oops

As for remembering, I've been to 3 Dave Morgan seminars, have a stack of chassis books from basics to theory, and have full scale drawings of my suspension points with I/C plotted, force vectors, and resultant vectors and I STILL have questions. At least you remember where the info was so you can go back and read it. That's one step ahead of me!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The rear lower control arm length from the bolt to the center of the spring is 15 inches. I understood what you wanted, I just wrote it poorly. I will try to get the instant center length. I believe the anti squat thread will help me. Be back in a while.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Well, this is what I got. It is 16 inches high and 44 1/2 from the centerline of the axle. I will be lowering the mounting point on the front of the rear control arm 2 inches and the new measurements would be 15 1/2 high and 93 1/2 from the centerline of the rear axle. Does dropping the mounting point 2 inches help a lot? I would think so but I don't know. These measurements are by no means exact. They are however very close. At least as close as I could plot. If you need any more info, please let me know.