Rear Springs

montemike79

Well Known Member
Working on my dad's '61 Impala. We put in replacement rear springs heavy duty moog 6033. We thought the car sat low because the springs were worn, but these didn't raise the car at all still sits the same. Would the station wagon springs 6041s raise the rear or be the same ? According to the assembly manual the rear of the car is still an inch or so low. Thanks

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
How high is the front? If the front is too high, it may put a little extra weight on the rear. At the very least, a nose high front end will make the rear seam low.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I put Moog 6041 Coils, on the back of my 64. It raised the car 3 or 4 inches.:clap I got them at Summit Racing. I also have KYB Gas shocks. I'm happy, with the way it drives.:appl

montemike79

Well Known Member
The front end is an inch lower than the specs in the assembly manual, will probably change those springs later. I ordered the station wagon springs, will try those and see how it looks.

62BillT

Well Known Member
When Springs like that were still available from Chevrolet, we used to get 409 Wagon Springs. Those Moog 6041's sound like a good alternative and should give you the height you are looking for.

montemike79

Well Known Member
Put the 6041 wagon springs in the car, raised it about 2 inches compared to the heavy duty 6033s. Car sits 3/4" higher on the drivers side, I think that's in the front end. Going put new springs in the front now to bring it up a bit and hopefully level the car out. Anyone else have this problem ?

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I used stock springs in front and the 6033 in rear sits just right for my taste but my drvs. side is 1/2" lower :dunno:mad2

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Make sure you have them clocked properly and seat in the spring pocket properly. One last thing I would check is to make sure your driveshaft does not hit the tunnel with the rear end fully lowered and the frame on jack stands. I bought KYB 's and they were about an inch and a quarter longer when fully extended then the Monroe shocks I switched to. I can get you part numbers if needed. The part number that KYB lists for 58-64 is actually the correct measurement for 65 or 67 all the way up to 87 if I remember correctly.

montemike79

Well Known Member
I have them seated properly, but the moog springs don't go against the stops on the top and bottom, they are about a half coil short compared to the original springs. I had them against the stops on top and then switched them so they were against the stops on the bottom, did not make a difference. I think the height difference is in the front end, the driver's front is 1/2" higher than the passenges side. Driveshaft doesn't hit when the rear is hanging. We'll see how it looks after we do the front end.

montemike79

Well Known Member
I may need some part numbers for shocks if you can help ragtp66, or anyone else. After finally getting the car back on the ground we realized with the wagon springs the rear shocks are maxed out. I've been searching for replacement wagon shocks with no luck. I've read that they used a longer shock. What is everyone using for shocks with these rear springs ?

Thanks for your help guys

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The KYB shocks, I put on my 64 KG-4550 Front, and KG-5507 Rear. When I purchased them, at Summit Racing, they were $ 38.00 ea. That was 8 years ago. Like I mentioned before, I put MOOG 6041 coils,on the back. The mistake I made, was putting Moog 658A Coils on the Front.:doh I was hoping, to get the front, even height, with the back. It didn't work out that way. The Front is lower.:rolleyes I'll live with it, for now. :)

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Skip......... I have the 6041 rear springs for my 64 and I bought the moog 6000 for the front. Now I'm having second thoughts on them. What do you think?
Ken...............

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
H-m-m.:doh I'm not, gonna be much help, Ken.:rolleyes I don't know anything about the Moog 6000 springs. When I bought the Moog-658 A springs, I was under the impression, they were the HD Station Wagon coils. I was hoping, to raise the whole car up a couple inches.:dunno21964 New Coils.jpg 1964 New Coils.jpg 1964 New Rear Coils..jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
H-m-m.:doh I'm not, gonna be much help, Ken.:rolleyes I don't know anything about the Moog 6000 springs. When I bought the Moog-658 A springs, I was under the impression, they were the HD Station Wagon coils. I was hoping, to raise the whole car up a couple inches.:dunno2View attachment 54162 View attachment 54162 View attachment 54163
Skip, does your car ride stiff with the wagon spring's? I had 409 spring 's in my son's 64 . He hated them .They raised the rear . He took them out and I put them in my 63 and they rough stiff and I even cut a coil to fit so they would lay in the pocket's . Took them out and put stock 327 spring's in and installed air lift bag's inside the spring's and can adjust height where I want ,but with height way up it does ride firm in rear.

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
IF, you can't find the springs to make your vehicle ride your looking for another company to look into is Eaton Detroit Spring. They have springs for almost any vehicle that are + or - stock ride heights.
I have never use them but I have looked at their vehicle spring catalog on the internet.
Another source to look into for the ride height you are looking for.

Dave

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Don: The car Does, ride a little stiff.:dunno2 Not too bad, though.:clap I haven't, been on many crappy roads yet.

montemike79

Well Known Member
After searching the web and looking up part numbers listed here, I went to Napa and the guy found me some shocks that are 3" longer than the originals. They are Napa brand but he said they are made by Monroe, in the USA. They were 29 bucks a piece. Put them on yesterday and no more problems. The rear will also drop lower now making it easier to get the tires off.