Rear Springs...

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I purchased a complete set of springs for my 63 recently and just finished installing the rears this weekend. The rear of the car is too low! It looks like I've got the trunk filled with a load of bricks. These springs are brand new, supposedly STOCK replacement springs. It's lower now than with my old 171,000 mile springs!!
I got these from Eaton in Detroit. Any one else buy from them? Anyone have any suggestions? I thought they had "thousands of original blueprints" for springs. They sent me, generic MOOG front springs and mystery rear springs. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Any help with the rear springs would be much appreciated.
Ross

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ross, I orderd 2" lower springs from CPP for the back of my car and after installing the car only sat 1/2" lower...:doh. The springs that were in there were new HD and I ended up cutting them. They were from Late Great Chevys Bow Tie Chevys part # 6033. Those were ordered on 9/23/02 so who knows if they carry the same thing now. I think that may be Eckler's now.:dunno Good luck

rconnors

rear springs

I had this problem many years ago with my 62...I am on my second set os 62 station wagon springs which bring the rear up nicely....look around for a vendor that supplies these

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS ! Probably won't beleive 1 ????

Put the old front ones in the rear or go to NAPA & get the spring book and figure out a pair that suits ya !

I've done both! :brow :brow

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I used new 6 cyl springs in the rear. They do sit low. I always thought it was cause they were 6 cyl springs. Maybee not. They were purchased thru pst suspension.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Oval track aftermarket springs come in many lengths for the rear, Speedway Motors sells a ten and a half inch rear, 13 inch rear, 11 inch rear, 20 inch rear, 14 inch double pigtail rear. Day Motorsports sells 8,10.5,11, 12, 13, 15, and 20 inch rear springs, some with no pigtail, some with one pigtail and some with two. many rates available, and many other wholesale houses sell other combo's. Figure out what height you need and what spring rate, give any thought to coilovers?

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Ross,read your post.I've dealt with this guy for my 64 Impala 409 convertible.He can make any spring you want as to your custom height or dimensions.Also can custom make shocks as well.He's been in business for over 35 years,advertises in Hemmings every month.He's prices are very,very reasonable,ships usually within 5-8 days.Very very dependable.Will paint springs or shock any color you choose.
www.shocks2springs.com
His name is Mark,phone number is 1-800-344-1966.
The company is located I believe in Colorado Springs,Co.He handles all major shock brands and will custom make them for your application as well as custom making springs for your application. John

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help, guys!! I think EVERYONE is selling the same springs!! The 6033 springs that Tripower got are MOOG springs. They are listed as a heavy duty spring
(non station wagon). It looks like MOOG has three choices:
661-Std, non-wagon springs (what I must have)
6033- non-wagon heavy duty
6041- wagon heavy duty
With that said, shop around. I know I paid too much for springs that I can get at the local parts store.
These springs are listed by the MOOG number in the Classic Industries catalog.
I did have the old front springs in there before and it sat almost perfectly level! It was maybe one inch up in the back but it was rough riding.
I'm going to return the springs I got from Eaton, put the old fronts in there and see where I'm at then. Maybe I'll call Mark in CO and get some custom springs made.
Thanks again for the help!:clap
Ross