rear window install on 60 biscayne

gk409

bought new rear glass, new seal from steele...problem,can not get the rubber to seal on the top corners of the body? wants to pull down from the stainless..i have the best classic glass guy in our area doing the work ! had the window in three times. same problem.. anyone had a similar problem???:rub

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
As some background, it is useful to understand how these seals are made. The top, bottom, and sides are all extrusions which are constant cross section and come out of a die like the play dough pumper into baths to cool. They are then cut to length. The ends of the cut pieces are stuck into molds of the corners and rubber is injected to bond to the extrusions and form the corners.
The extruded sections are very stretchy where the corners are hard. When putting them on the glass, you should start in the middle and work to the corners so that the stretching that takes place pushes the corners out.

I need to see a picture, but it sounds like the corner is under tension and is twisting.

To eliminate the question of quality, I would remove the glass and remove the seal from the glass then try and seat just the corner piece on the body leaving it sit for a while. If it fits like a glove and stays like that it is good. If not, you have a bad corner molding. The other possibility is short extrusions. I would put the seal to the body working from the middle and stretching the extrusion to the corners then seat the corners and leave it alone for a while. If it keeps looking good, you have a good seal. If not you have short extrusions.

gk409

bubble boy, this is a very good explanation. I wondered about starting in the middle out to the corners..my guy put the ropes to pull from the bottom up..the window sealed fine all the way around until the corners ! I believe you are correct about the corner being under tension or bad molding.. we have the glass out now . didn't think to take pics. I intend to check the seal against the roof line in the morning.... thanks for your input. sounds like you've done this before....gk409

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I was a GM engineer for 20 years. I got to learn way too much about seals when I was stationed at an assembly plant for 6 years trying to keep convertibles dry with a terrible seal supplier. They screwed parts up every way I could imagine and many ways I couldn't. Bad corner molds and short extrusions were easy things to catch. Spending lots of time in the water test booth I learned all about how tricky water leaks can be. Water has surface tension which can cause it to suck into tight crevices, cling upside down and run along surfaces, and pool in hidden areas only to overflow and become apparent once enough water accumulated.
One thing to remember is don't assume the new parts are right. I was spoiled since we had drawings and computer models and other parts to compare the suspect ones to. You can however compare new to old and look at fits to see if the parts are suspect. Don't kill yourself trying to get bad parts to work.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That was a big problem on the Chevy II/Nova upper windshield corners with the repro gaskets. I think those were Steele also.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My glass guy won't use any steel rubber gaskets. He says Precision is the best. I have used their windshield gaskets, both front and rear, on several projects with excelent results. The best place I have found to purchase them is http://www.route66restorations.com/
They are very knowledgeable and great to deal with as well as a fair price.