Recent Nor'easter

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It's funny, you mentioned that, James.:dunno When it first happened, the machine made a squealing sound. Was probably the belt slipping.:dunno My first thought was, I ran over a small animal. :doh:confused

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I live 3/4 of a mile of a electric power relay station (my name of it) that is about the size of a large super market.
Every time I loose electricity it’s back on within minutes.
I have thought about generator as have a sump pump & I need power for my CPAP.
My home uses the city gas line that my furnace uses, so that’s no problem, it’s the power for the fan that would stop me.
I may look into some type of external electric power, as a back up now that I’m in my 70’s.
Dave

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What size generator, whole house, if not how is it hooked up? I have a smaller one but am thinking larger with gas logs fire place for heat to stay away from 22 kw +\- needed for whole house because of trying to start heat pumps
Robert

A lot of variables, at least for me, when you pick out a generator. Do you want a standby or roll out?? We initially thought about a roll out, but then thought if we were away on vacation, who could we get to come over, hook it up and fuel it every 12 hours. They would probably be busy with their own mess. So, we decided on a Generac standby generator. They come in various sizes, i.e. circuits, depending what you want to do with it. I had no desire to power the 2nd floor because there are only bedrooms and a bath there. My youngest daughter has her bedroom there, but it is a hit and miss if she stays in it. Our concern was the 1st floor, where we have everything we need for daily living. So I chose a 10 circuit one which I have everything connected to it that we need to sustain living at home during a power outage. Before buying my generator, I looked around. Home Depot wanted $3500.00 for the same generator and a company wanted $6500.00 parts and labor for the install. I found a company in Chicago that would sell and ship the same generator to me for $2300.00, so I bought it. I studied, studied and studied those directions and did the install myself. Had it about 90% done and had a friend who installs them, take a look. All was good and we finished it off. I don't have city gas. I have LP and this generator needs it's own source. I had my gas man come out and finish the hook up. It's been working flawlessly ever since. Comes on every Sunday morning at 10AM to recharge itself and check its' operating system. This past Fall, I changed the battery. I think it was 7 years old or so. I also have a contract with a local Generac distributor and he comes out every Fall and tunes and checks it out. I don't have any regrets but to do over, I would have bought the 14 circuit model. Not that much more and good to have a few extra circuits if need be. I know everyone's finances can be different, but for me, this is the way to go. I have peace of mind knowing that I shouldn't be without electricity ever again, Carmine.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We got the early part of the storm that headed up the eastern US, we got about 6-8 inches of snow and all I could do was watch it snow. My boys came down and cleaned out the driveways and sidewalks for me afterwards so it was a no effort storm for me. Only thing that sucks is there is finally enough snow that I could have gotten the sled out and taken it for a dig but with the knee situation that is out of the question.
Saw on the news all the snow and power lines down in your part of the world, I certainly don't envy you the mess. Hope you are getting back to normal.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yeah Jeff, there are a ton of lines down. Some haven't had electric since before this last storm. At the height, it was estimated that about one million customers were without power. It's constantly on the news. Power crews from other states have come to help as far away as Quebec and Mississippi. Nice to have that form of reciprocity. Saw on the news, one of the dumbest things ever, not counting those who run their portable generator in their basement, of a tractor trailer driver who was trying to remove power lines from his trailer with an aluminum shovel. Were the wires live?? I don't know, but either does he. The Grim Reaper is right around the corner waiting for this guy, Carmine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have an update, on my Snow thrower problem.:dunno I mentioned earlier, that the Auger, on my snow blower stopped turning, the other night, when I was doing our driveway. AT first, I thought I sheared the pin off. Today, I talked to my son, and asked him, if he was missing a Knife or a Sheve. He said Yes. Today, he came down and removed his 5" knife from the Auger, of my machine.:eek3 The wood, I was chopping away, was actually the handle. The knive was jammed, in such a way, it looked like it belonged there. HOLY $hit.:eek1 Imagine that thing, flying out. :drop He told me, his two sons took it out of his truck, the last time they all visited, and didn't put it back. He told me, they have a little surprise, waiting for them, when they come back home, tomorrow.:teehee:bat

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have an update, on my Snow thrower problem.:dunno I mentioned earlier, that the Auger, on my snow blower stopped turning, the other night, when I was doing our driveway. AT first, I thought I sheared the pin off. Today, I talked to my son, and asked him, if he was missing a Knife or a Sheve. He said Yes. Today, he came down and removed his 5" knife from the Auger, of my machine.:eek3 The wood, I was chopping away, was actually the handle. The knive was jammed, in such a way, it looked like it belonged there. HOLY $hit.:eek1 Imagine that thing, flying out. :drop He told me, his two sons took it out of his truck, the last time they all visited, and didn't put it back. He told me, they have a little surprise, waiting for them, when they come back home, tomorrow.:teehee:bat
Why they pull knives out to visit you???:crazy:confused:D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I'm surprised, all the animals, aren't out there waiting.:dunno I can smell that, from here. Yum:clap

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Round 3 has come and gone and my town didn't do too bad about 7 inches. The eastern side of the state had 20 plus inches. I'm sick of this crap it gotta stop. Vin