Reducing headers exhaust pipe question

donsz

Well Known Member
I'm installing power steering on my 1957 Chevy pickup. The problem is that the 348 engine is too close to the steering box.
The original manual steering box required some grinding on the box and the exhaust (#7 cylinder). The power steering is a more awkward fit.
I don't think the original Chevy 348 exhaust manifold will not fit, even with surgery

I found a set of truck "tuck" headers that I can make fit by modifying the #7 cylinder header pipe. However, here is the situation:
- The original "tuck" header pipe is round and 1 and 3/4" diameter
- The only way I can get this to fit is to use 1" square tubing to replace that one header pipe for that cylinder

I know it is not ideal, but I was wondering if this is going to be a a "show-stopper." Or can I live with it. The 348 is a single
4 BBL and a mild cam. Otherwise the internals are stock (new but stock). Thanks for your thoughts on this.
don

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I’m confused, the steering box should be nowhere near number seven tube? What am I missing here?

donsz

Well Known Member
Mine is in about the same position. As you can see the fit is tight, but I can make it work with the square tubing.
donSteering_2.jpgsteering_3.jpgSteeringBox_1.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ouch thats close, I thought mine was tight on my nova but nothing like that. I like the rack and pinion idea as mentioned by Fathead Racing.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Do it! If you want an eye opener, go to you tube and type in enginemasters header bash test. That will put everything in perspective!

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Put manual grear box back on , you said it fit with some trimming. Put a under dash electronic power steering column . No power steering hoses, no ps pump needed

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Do the 4x4 guys have a pitman arm box that just operates by hose and a control valve mounted to the steering column.

donsz

Well Known Member
I already have all the power steering stuff from CPP and associated vendors. Also, I am unsure of the quality of the stock steering
boxes I have.
don

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Can you take your cast manifold to someone and have them modified it?
You can weld steel plate to cast iron.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I did one many years ago. 348 in a 57 1/2 ton 4x4 Napco. I left the original steering box. The exhaust manifold at no 7 was way too tight. I ended up grinding through the manifold and then welding in a piece of 1/8 x 1 flat to fill the hole.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well since the Engine Masters guys damn near collapsed pipes pounding them in almost closed and only losing 4hp I would say go for it and change out the pipe.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Amazing what they do to the headers, and lose nearly no horsepower. Can somebody post a link to the video?