Removing 64 SS drip rail chrome

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Seam sealer in drip rail is badly cracking so I need to pull off the trim to clean out and reseal. I know most cars like my GTO you can see the bottom and pop it off but it looks like the channel for the window gaskets overlaps it. Does that have to come off first?

Pulled the bottom of the rear window trim off and the section around the sail panel. Lots of Texas red dirt in it! The clips for the window trim look like they pop in the gasket but there are two on either end of the top trim the clip looks like the rivet in the body is bade into the clip?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
To remove the drip rail, we start at the rear. You need to get on the underside and release it by gently prying down and out. Once it starts to come off, we start twisting it up and working forward. Kind of hard top explain, but be carful not to bend it.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have seen the church key method but the bottom seems covered over.
Try a wide bladed pry bar(plastic if available) to break the underside lip loose. Now I can't remember if the roof rail trim has to be removed first. I'll try and remember to look later.

Junky

Well Known Member
I have seen a bunch of youtube videos, and they all make it look easy, but it is also easy to damage. The tolerance's are tight, so you will need to be careful when you paint, not to have too much paint on the lip. I remember back in the day, we would work around the stainless steel whenever possible, because it was so difficult to get off, and then back on, without damaging it. When I had my Corvair painted, they just taped it with a few layers of tape, and worked around it. Once it was painted, you couldn't tell that it wasn't removed. The car was stripped to bare metal, primed, and painted.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have seen a bunch of youtube videos, and they all make it look easy, but it is also easy to damage. The tolerance's are tight, so you will need to be careful when you paint, not to have too much paint on the lip. I remember back in the day, we would work around the stainless steel whenever possible, because it was so difficult to get off, and then back on, without damaging it. When I had my Corvair painted, they just taped it with a few layers of tape, and worked around it. Once it was painted, you couldn't tell that it wasn't removed. The car was stripped to bare metal, primed, and painted.
Junky, your exactly right about the paint, the drip rail just needs a dusting of paint as to much paint will not allow the drip rail stainless to snap on properly. Also the drip rail stainless is very hard to install without damaging, it needs to be very carefully put on with a mallet tapping it on the bottom corner at an angle. I have dented these moulding's using the palm of my hand!!