Removing bell housing with engine in car

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
I think I have a bad throw out bearing. I have the car up on the lift. I have detached everything to allow me to remove tranny. I suddenly thought, "maybe one cannot remove bell housing without removing engine!".
So, can one remove bell housing without removing engine? If so, does the starter need to come off. Additionally, what tool/tools would make the job easier? Any help appreciated. Mike

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
Thank you both for the replies. I like the tips. The reason I want to remove bell housing is to check condition of clutch. I don't think the problem is there but while I'm at it, I just thought I go ahead and remove and check it. after the car reaches operating temp, if I need to clutch it to park, like go to reverse and then first and then reverse, I can get a screeching noise with the clutch pedal pushed in. And, even more rarely with the screeching, sometimes hard to get out of gear. Ya'll think I'm on the right track thinking it is the throw out bearing?

El Rat

Well Known Member
You are going to need help...sounds like you might be a little new at this "car thing".

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It could be, the throw out bearing.:dunno Some people, mistakingly, put the Throw out Bearing behind the two clips.:no The bearing belongs, in the C of the clutch Fork.:clapThe 2 clips, should be behind.

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
I did put the throw out bearing in wrong. Had to go back in and make sure this time it was behind the little ears. That took up some of the slop in the pedal but not all. I put in a new clutch fork from Show Cars. Show cars said no one makes originals any longer and that they get forks in and modify them to work. I think the new fork added to the slop. I finally had to lengthen the linkage rod that goes into the clutch fork and I actually did that by welding in some threads and a coupler. Pedal feels good now after adjustments. Car shifts nice with no unusual noises. Thanks