Removing Light and Ignition Switch

Does anyone know how to remove these two items from the dash of a 64 impala. I am wanting to repaint the dash and am having trouble getting these out. Thanks for the help

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
The light switch has a button on the back side that has to be pushed in, in order to remove the knob and shaft, which allows you to remove the threaded nut on the front.

The ignition switch will require a paper clip pushed into the little pin hole to remove the cylinder of the ignition. I think that you have to have the key in the accessory position.
You will feel the right spot when pushing in with the paper clip.

Anybody want to elaborate or explain it better?

bobs409

Administrator
I can add some. :)

For the light switch, pull knob out to the headlight "on" position. Depress the small button on the back and pull the shaft all the way out. To reinstall, simply push the knob/shaft back in. (no need to press button)

The key cylinder is removed by putting key in, turning to the ACC position and inserting a paper clip or similar in the hole, press in and turn past the ACC position. (counter clockwise) The cylinder will pop right out.

I've never had much luck using the paper clip method as most times, you have to press in fairly hard and it tends to bend. Instead, use a small allen wrench that fits the hole.

If it's stubborn, spray a bit of WD-40. Sometimes they can be tough removing for the first time but it will come out...

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You might want to purchase a Shop Manual, which covers all these little qwircks. An Assembley Manual will help you with putting things back together correctly, too.

SteveD