Removing oil baffle from 881 Intake?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I am starting to inspect and clean the dual quad manifold that will top my 09. When I was flipping it around I noticed rust flakes falling from inside the oil baffle/separator that is attached to the bottom of the manifold. The baffle has stock rivet type fasteners. How have others removed the baffle? Do I grind the heads off the rivets or can they be grabbed with vise grips and pulled straight out?? I must assume that when reattactching the sheet metal one would tap the existing rivet holes and use thread locker to secure the added screws!

PS. Jim K I received your PM. Thank you.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Intake Manifold Rivets

Fatride: I took my manifold's valley cover off last year. The rivets are knurled but they unscrew. Heat them up with a propane torch for about five minutes each time. Tap on them with a small hammer, to break the rust. Them unscrew them. If you can't get the vise grips to stay on them, you'll have to file the sides of the rivets flat, for more grip. Eventually, they will come out. skip:)

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Ray, used a sharp chisel, tap it under one side of the rivet and it will pop up enough to pry it out with two screw drivers. when reinstalling pan, peen the holes shut a little bit and reinstall the rivets with locktite.

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
:doh Ther'reNOT screwed in. Try to unscrew them and yuy'll enlarge thehole. Follow Gearhead's advice. No heat. I use vise grips and wiggle them up. Don't turn them or bend them.
BYW, chevy stull sells new rivits

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Chisel

I use a chisel like Gearhead suggests, and have had good luck popping them off. Thet do have the replacements at some GM dealerships.

Good luck!

TomK