Repainting plastic trunk bezel inserts, possible?

bobs409

Administrator
Wondering if anyone has tried to repaint the colored plastic inserts that were used on some of these cars? I'd just snagged a pit free emblem for the trunk lid on my 66 but the plastic inserts red paint is worn. (so is my original)

If this can be done, what's the best way to remove all the old paint. What kind of paint to use? (model paints?) Tips?

Thanks,

Bob

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Bob,
if anybody can find a way to do this, ......it will be you.
just let us know what you come up with.
:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
An eisier way to do it is to use a sign paint.
You can get any color posible at any sign supply shop.
The paint is self leveling, slower dry time which allows you time to wipe clean the parts above the painted area,like the top of the lettering.
It also is long lasting and fade resistant.

This works great,,, done it,,,,,

You can also do this on valve covers, like my moons, or any other area,,,

On this like the valve covers and emblems you can paint in the desired area the let it setup for a while the wipe off any excess,,

works on anything,,metal, plastic,, etc
dq

bobs409

Administrator
Well these are painted from the backside so would be real easy to paint.

I just can't think of a solvent that will remove the old paint and not eat the plastic. :eek:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
plastic models

I remove the old paint on car models made of Styrene plastic by soaking them a couple of days in brake fluid. Paint comes off in sheets and doesnt appear to affect the plastic. I would test it on an old useless emblem.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks models! :cheers

I'll see if I can find a junker to test that theory. I must admit, brake fluid would be my last guess. :eek:

If I can successfully remove the old paint, I bet I can make this look like new again. Just repaint the red, spray some silver over the top of that and polish the outside surface. (not sure why they have silver over the top of the red but that's the way all of the ones I've seen are)

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, the "silvering" is similar to the coating on the back of mirrors...for reflectivity. The paint DQ is reffering to is "One Shot" and it works great on plastic as he said. Eastwood has it in lots of colors.:coffee: Good Luck!

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This is going to be very hard to get right...I think the paint they used was a transparent paint and the silver backing gave it the "pop". The painted side of the clear plastic would probably have to be perfectly clear too..after you get the old stuff off..model car guys also use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove paint from plastic..

bobs409

Administrator
Good idea on the oven cleaner. I might try that. :brow

I forgot these actually reflect as Jim pointed out. I guess mine won't if I attempt this. Who will know? (except a few hundred guys here) :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,, You can get the transparent paint at the sign place also AND reflective silver !!!:deal ,,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
If I could get the correct paint, maybe I can start a "plastic bezel restoration service." :brow

Not sure of any sign places around here. Maybe the internet can turn something up...

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Bob

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
I have also heard that Formula 409 cleaner/degreaser is good for paint removal and would , of course, be " politically corrrect " for your use.:roll

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
dunhamfield

Bob, Hi I'm new to the site but have a recomendation for paint.
I have had great success with vinyl paint from the auto parts for interior repairs.
Have used it on plastics and it is very resistant to peeling off like most paints.
Good luck, Terry